Neets Bay is known for its high concentration of black bears in mid-summer to early fall when the salmon arrive to spawn. Explore the bay and view the iconic Ketchikan Black Bears feasting, frolicking, or slumbering in the wild.
On this one-of-a-kind boat tour, your licensed captain will guide you on a saltwater safari through the Tongass Narrows, Clover Passage, and the temperate rainforest. See the amazing bays, the local lighthouse, and the coastal wildlife. You will even have the chance of seeing whales breaching, bear trails and salmon streams, and bald eagles feasting on the salmon leftovers from the foraging bears.
At Neets Bay, the bears line the shore, catching as many protein-rich salmon as they can. Watch the bears fish and interact with each other in a natural setting. Keep your eyes out for other wildlife such as Sitka Black-Tailed Deer, Mink, Marten, and Seals! Please note: Though wildlife is abundant, it is not guaranteed.
Duration: 4-4.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Light snacks provided on the boat
- Binoculars for viewing opportunities
- Must be at least 5 years of age
- Appropriate clothing per weather
Duration: 4-4.5 hours
- Meet at the Ketchikan Visitor Bureau, booth 10 and 1, on Berth 2. Meeting instructions are detailed on your finalized vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. You must be able to walk up the gangplank, board vessel, and hike an uneven trail. Must be able to step up 2 stairs to the viewing platform. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for equipment will be required on tour. If the operator is unaware beforehand of necessary accommodations, they may not be able to accommodate guests day-of.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
You will have a guide who is knowledgeable about the wildlife that inhabit the rainforest, and it is extremely likely that you will see bears. You may also see whales, salmon streams, and bald eagles on your way to the bear viewing falls.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
This is a limited use area. Minimum age is 5 years and above.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We recomend wearing clothes that can be layered. A lightweight shirt, sweater, and jacket will allow you to adapt to varying temperatures. Waterproof hiking shoes or sneakers are also recomended. Also, pack a hat and sunglasses.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!