Among the old growth rainforest, pristine rivers, striking mountains, and soaring eagles is the powerful black bear. Explore a nook of the Last Frontier and witness the noble black bears feasting, frolicking, or slumbering in the wild.
Begin your Expedition Black Bear from Ketchikan Cruise Ship Dock.
Traitor's Cove is located 26 miles north of Ketchikan and approximately 60-70 minutes, one way via our 30' Aluminum Chambered Boat.
On the way to Traitor's Cove, your Six-Pack Licensed Captain will navigate through the Tongass Narrows, Clover Passage, and the temperate rainforest. You will observe stunning bays, sail past a majestic lighthouse, and have a chance to witness coastal wildlife. Quite often you will be able to observe the captivating behavior of whales breaching, revere bear trails and salmon streams, and spot bald eagles feasting on salmon leftovers from the bears foraging.
Once you reach the dock at Traitor's Cove, your adventure will continue as you drive 1.25 miles by private van to the Margaret Creek trailhead. From there, you will continue on a short 250-yard walk along a rainforest trail to the amazing bear viewing falls.
You will have a Captain/Guide that is well equipped and very familiar with travel in bear country, as well as knowledgeable about local flora, fauna, and wildlife that inhabit the rainforest.
Join us for a tour of a lifetime in Ketchikan, Alaska!
Duration: 4-4.5 hour hours (Roundtrip from the cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Light snacks provided on boat
- Binoculars for viewing opportunities
- Must be at least 5 years of age
- Appropriate clothing per weather
Duration: 4-4.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 60 minute boat ride through the Tongass Narrows
- 5 minute van ride to the viewing platform trail head
- 15 minute walk down trail to Black Bear viewing platform
- 1 and 1/2 hour viewing time at sights
- 15 minute walk back to the van
- 5 minute ride to remote lake for viewing/possible bear sighting
- 60 minute ride back to the cruise ship docks
- Meet at the Ketchikan Visitor Bureau, booth 10 and 1, on Berth 2. Meeting instructions are detailed on excursion tickets.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. You must be able to walk up gang plank, board vessel, and hike an uneven trail. Must be able to step up 2 stairs to viewing platform. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for equipment will be required on tour. If operator is unaware beforehand of necessary accommodations, they may not be able to accommodate guests day-of.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
You will have a guide who is knowledgeable about the wildlife that inhabit the rainforest, and it is extremely likely that you will see bears. You may also see whales, salmon streams, and bald eagles on your way to the bear viewing falls.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
This is a limited use area. Minimum age is 5 years and above.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We reccomend wearing clothes that can be layered. A lightweight shirt, sweater, and jacket will allow you to adapt to varying temperatures. Waterproof hiking shoes or sneakers are also reccomended. Also, pack a hat and sunglasses.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!