Sit back, strap yourself in, and hit the accelerator for the off-road adventure of a lifetime! Mountain trails through a timber harvested area offer the perfect venue for off-road challenges. Learn about the history, culture and economy of Ketchikan as you are transported by motorcoach to this rainforest wilderness. Experience the rugged Alaskan wilderness from the driver's seat of a specially designed off-road adventure kart.
At the Ketchikan Adventure Kart Expedition base camp, you will receive a safety briefing and gear up in preparation for the exciting, one-and-a-half-hour guided trek. Your caravan of karts sets out to explore the remote back country along several miles of improved forest trail, with your guide in the lead ATV.
Feel the rush of adrenaline at the start of your journey as you navigate an obstacle course in a custom designed Tomcar that tests your ability to traverse through the remaining wilderness. A comfortable pace is maintained as you thread your way around steep curves, climbing to reveal unparalleled views of the Tongass National Forest, Behm Canal and Alaska's fabled Inside Passage.
Stops are made along the way to soak up the grandeur and beauty of this lush land. Enjoy a snack and beverage, then drivers and passengers have the opportunity to switch positions for the return trip. Be prepared to watch for wildlife along the way where eagles, deer or bears are frequently sighted.
Included: Rain gear and a helmet are provided for use on the tour.
Please Note: Drivers must show a valid driver's license. A full driver's permit or international drivers license is required. No learner permits or other substitutions are allowed. Participants must be at least 50" tall and weigh between 40-300lbs. Karts accommodate two guests. Not recommended for guests with neck or back problems or expectant mothers.
Duration: 3.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Raingear (jackets and bibs) and helmets
- Bottled water and granola snack
- Minimum weight: 40lbs
- Maximum weight: 300lbs
- Minimum height: 50 inches
- Driver's must show a valid driver's license. A full driver's permit or international drivers license is required. No learner permits or other substitutions are allowed.
- Not recommended for guests with neck or back problems or expectant mothers.
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 1 hour narrated scenic roundtrip transportation from Ketchikan to karting base
- 30 minutes safety briefing and equipment orientation
- 1.5 hours kart driving with stops at overlook and waterfall
- 15 minutes gearing down and gift shop time
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests need to be able to climb in and out of the karts with limited assistance. Participants should be adventurous and in good physical condition. The kart ride is bumpy and not recommended for guests with neck or back problems.
Do I get the drive the Karts?
Yes! Each Kart has two seats, one driver and one passenger. All participants with a valid driver's license are welcome to drive and positions can be switched at any of the tour stopping points. A full driver's permit or international drivers license is required. No learner permits or other substitutions are allowed.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions?
There are no age restrictions for this tour, however participants must be a minimum of 50 inches tall and between 40lbs and 300lbs.
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored at the base prior to driving.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Outside food and drink are not allowed.
Are food and drink included?
Bottled water and a granola snack are included.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
This tour is not recommended for pregnant women or anyone with neck or back problems.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing, gloves and shoes you don't mind getting muddy!
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!