Buckle up and hold on tight, on this off-road, open-air UTV ride! Explore the mountainous trails of the George Inlet Fjords and the hidden beauty of the Tongass National Forest en route to Mahoney Lake. The path has several stops along the way to soak up the magnificent scenery and wildlife viewing.
Have those cameras ready to capture as many photos as possible, and take turns driving the terrain. Mahoney Lake and Mahoney Falls are located at the end of the trail, where a delicious campfire lunch awaits. The remote setting is perfect for adventure-seekers and those wishing to go off the beaten path.
Private transportation will depart the cruise ship dock and take a scenic route to the White River base camp. Your driver/guide will share entertaining stories of Ketchikan including the history of the Ward Cove Pulp Mill, the various industries of the past, modern-day highlights of the community, and more.
At the White River base camp, meet the UTV Leader who will go over driving instructions and assist in gearing up for the adventure. The trail is over 5 miles in distance each way, so get comfortable with seatbelts on, cameras ready, and prepare to get muddy! Follow the UTV Leader in single-file formation up and down the mountainside where your warm lunch awaits at basecamp. Smokin' reindeer link served on a warm bun and a cup of simmering chili, what's more, outdoor living than that? Leave room for a cup of hot chocolate or coffee,tea or water!
Duration: 3.75 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal)
- Roundtrip transportation to and from the Ketchikan Visitor Center
- Gear/Equipment: Raingear, Helmet
- Lunch and beverages
- All drivers must have a valid driver's license (Licensed drivers under the age of 18 must have a licensed legal guardian with them in the vehicle)
- Helmets are provided and must be worn by all participants
- Minimum age: 5 years old
- Minimum height: 50 inches
- Minimum weight: 50lbs
- Maximum weight: 300lbs
- Guests should dress in layers to plan for Alaskan weather (closed-toe shoes and clothing that can get soiled)
- Signed liability waiver and rental contract are required
- Not recommended for the following guests: Guests with neck or back problems, expectant mothers, patrons with mobility issues, or those traveling with mobility equipment
Duration: 3.75 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 45 minutes - Depart cruise ship dock and drive to White River Base Camp
- 5 minutes - Restroom break
- 10 minutes - Safety and driving orientation, helmet gear up and group assignments
- 40 minutes - Trail up to Mahoney Lake with stops for sightseeing and narration
- 20 minutes - Lunch served by campfire with beverages
- 40 minutes - Trail back down to base camp with no stops
- 5 minutes - Gear down and turn in helmets
- 15 minutes - Restroom break, gift shop and free-time
- 45 minutes - Scenic drive back to cruise ship dock
- This tour meets at the Ketchikan Visitor Center by the bronze statue and also at Ward Cove. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Guests must be able to lift themselves in and out of the UTV vehicles. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Do I get to drive the Karts?
Yes! We have 2-seater (one driver and one passenger) and 4-seater (one driver and three passengers) UTVs. All participants with a valid driver's license are welcome to drive and positions can be switched at a designated stopping point in the middle of the tour. No learner permits or other substitutions are allowed.
What is the policy for bad weather?
We run this tour rain or shine. While the vehicles do have windshields, there is a very likely chance that mud and/or dust can get on guests.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Comfortable clothing and layers appropriate for the day of weather conditions and preferably clothing you don't mind getting soiled or dirty. Closed-toe shoes are to be worn. Helmets and raingear are provided.
What should I bring on tour?
Cameras and phones may be brought on this tour. There is a gift shop available to purchase photos on a zip-drive from your UTV adventure, apparel and goods from local vendors.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Bald eagles, Sitka black tail dear and black bears are common sights, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and specific wildlife cannot be guaranteed.
Are there alternative food options?
The chili served is vegetarian. For children who do not like reindeer links, regular hotdogs will be available.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2023 - Beatriz L.
This was so fun!! The guides were great too! Loved going in the woods to find beautiful streams and lake.
Aug 2023 - Patrick G.
This was a very fun ride going through the muddy trails and you don't get dirty at all. The tour guides were excellent and the if you like sausage/hot dogs you will like the reindeer hot dogs afterward.
Aug 2023 - Jennifer S.
Great time! Great views. Super easy to get to and from cruise ship.
Aug 2023 - Willis C.
It was the best fun ever. Would defiantly recommend this to anyone it was a blast.
Jul 2023 - Daryl H.
Such an amazing adventure. The crew involved are highly professional and friendly and were a pleasure to spend our day with. I would highly recommend this excursion to anyone. The views were incredible and the service was second to none.
Sep 2022 - Nancy B.
Loved the tour. Got to see salmons in the lake, deers on our way back. Dunkan was our guide, very knowledgeable and interesting to listen to. Overall, thumbs up for sure!
Sep 2022 - Ann-Marie H.
A great excursion! Beautiful views and a fun ride. Excellent guide and team.
Aug 2022 - Desiree A.
The staff is fantastic! The scenery is great and worth every penny. Bring a bathing suit, the lake is clear clean and cool... We were there on a nine warm day and a dip in the lake would've been great. Definitely recommend. Shout-out to Miles and Melinda for being awesome and informative guides.
Aug 2022 - Michael R.
Melinda and Rihanna were great guides. Had a blast on the trails. Very knowledgeable of the area.
Aug 2022 - Denise B.
This excursion was good, we would have liked to have had more time on the utv. The drive to get to the place was like 40-45 mins each way. Also, I think they should ask the group if there are people that want to go slow to go in the back. We got stuck behind the first utv who went crazily slow and the guide was gone. Our guide was great though!
May 2022 - Marcia L T.
Beautiful scenery and cool UTV's. The owners were great and very knowledgeable. The roads were a little rough ,but that's why they call them logging roads lol. Had a great time and recommend it!