Begin your adventure as you travel to a secluded lake by motorcoach. Upon arrival, you will board 37-foot Alaskan Native-style twenty-passenger canoes, which are fast, stable, and easy to maneuver. Paddle under the direction of an experienced guide, scan the shore for wildlife and learn the unique natural and native history of the Ketchikan area. Experience what it was like for the original explorers.
The lake, a part of the lush rainforest, is surrounded by the National Tongass Forest, one of the largest forests in the United States. It will be all hands on deck for a two-hour paddle around the lake.
Stop ashore for a native-style snack including smoked fish, clam chowder, rolls with wild berry jams, and beverages. A knowledgeable guide will lead a short nature walk, highlighting the flora and fauna of the rainforest, including such features as carnivorous plants.
Paddle back to the canoe dock where you will board your motorcoach and return to the cruise ship pier. Please dress warmly in waterproof layers in inclement weather. Suitable for all ages and no prior experience necessary. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Children ages 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian. Children must weigh at least 40 lbs in order to fit into required life jackets.
Duration: 3.5 hours
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Lifejacket, oars, and ponchos
- Alaskan-style snacks consisting of clam chowder, rolls, jam, smoked salmon, crackers, mints, juice, hot chocolate, coffee, and water
- Minimum Weight: 40lbs
- While no prior experience is required, moderate physical activity is required.
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children ages 13-17 must have a signed parental consent form to participate in the absence of a parent or guardian.
- Dress warmly in waterproof layers in inclement weather
Duration: 3.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 25 minutes - motor coach transportation to Lake Harriet Hunt
- 2 hours - Canoeing on a secluded mountain lake
- 30-40 minutes - short nature walk and snack/beverage break
- 25 minutes - motor coach transportation back to Ward Cove and downtown Ketchikan
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. If your ship docks at Ward Cove, you will be picked up there and you do not need to take the shuttle. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Guests must be 5 years of age or older and weigh at least 40 lbs.
How many passengers does the canoe hold?
The Alaskan Native-style canoe can hold up to 20 passengers along with an experienced guide.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable container and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Yes. Alaskan-style snacks and beverages are included. Clam chowder, rolls, jam, smoked salmon, crackers, mints, juice, hot chocolate, coffee, and water are provided.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances on uneven surfaces and steps. While no experience is required, moderate physical is required.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing and water-resistant jackets are recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!