Get ready for a fun-filled adventure with this exciting Zodiac tour! You'll have the time of your life as you zip through the water to the beautiful George Inlet Fjords.
Zodiac is a brand that sells heavy-duty, motorized inflatable rafts. These lightweight but rigid boats are ideal for traversing the waters of Southeast Alaska, so they are popular among locals and adventure seekers.
Your tour begins with van transport through downtown Ketchikan and along the coastline of the Tongass Narrows. You'll even have the opportunity to see the Native totem art that Ketchikan is famous for as we pass Saxman Native Village.
We'll finally reach the Beaver Falls Salmon Cannery, where you'll follow a short path through the rainforest to the Zodiacs. Please be advised that parties under 3 will share a boat with other guests. Everyone who's over 25 with a valid driver's license will have an opportunity to drive their own boat!
You'll follow your guide out to the incredible George Inlet Fjords. A fjord is a narrow inlet surrounded by steep cliffs formed through thousands of years of glacial activity, and the views they provide are unparalleled. Your guide will teach you about the history of the area and point out potential wildlife sightings.
After your ride, you'll return to the cannery for snacks and refreshments. Then you'll be transported right back to the cruise terminal downtown.
Duration: 3.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise terminal
- Snack and beverage
- Gear/equipment: rain jacket, rain pants, life vest, rain boots, goggles
- All guests who wish to drive the Zodiac must be at least 25 and have a valid driver's license.
- Minimum age of 6, maximum age of 99
- Minimum weight of 40 lbs, maximum weight of 300 lbs
- Minimum height of 42"
- Signed liability waiver
- Must be able to climb 4 steps in and out of a bus, walk roughly 1/4 mile on uneven terrain, walk down your ship's gangway, and be able to enter and exit Zodiac boats
- Not recommended for: those with neck or back problems, pregnant people, patrons with mobility issues, or those traveling with mobility equipment
Duration: 3.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes - transport to George Inlet Cannery
- 10 minutes - walk through the cannery
- 15 minutes - equipment and safety briefing
- 80 minutes - Zodiac ride
- 30 minutes - returning gear, enjoying our snack, and checking out the gift shop
- 30 minutes - transport back to the cruise terminal
- This tour meets at the Ketchikan Visitor Center by the bronze statue. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of a bus and must be able to safely enter and exit an inflatable boat. Guests should be comfortable walking short distances down their gangway and on uneven, rocky dirt paths. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
What is the policy for bad weather?
We run this tour rain or shine. While the vehicles do have windshields, there is a very likely chance that mud and/or dust can get on guests.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Comfortable clothing and layers appropriate for the day of weather conditions and preferably clothing you don't mind getting soiled or dirty. Closed-toe shoes are to be worn. Helmets and raingear are provided.
What should I bring on tour?
Cameras and phones may be brought on this tour. There is a gift shop available to purchase photos on a zip-drive from your UTV adventure, apparel and goods from local vendors.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Bald eagles, Sitka black tail dear and black bears are common sights, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and specific wildlife cannot be guaranteed.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!