Be transported away from the crowds of downtown Ketchikan to a nearby beach in the beautiful Southeast Alaskan region. Set amongst the Tongass Rainforest, the area is one of the best locations for spotting bald eagles, seals, and whales from the shore.
This beach is known for it's rock and tide pools. At low tide, you can walk the nearly half mile of beach and find dozens of different types of crabs, starfish, urchin, and sea anemones. Keep your eyes peeled and you may even spot an octopus.
After exploring the beach with your local, knowledgeable guide, warm up with a toasty beach bonfire. Enjoy a sweet treat as you roast s'mores along the beach. Hot beverages will be provided as well. This tour is a great opportunity for families and suitable for guests of all ages.
Dress in warm layers and wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes. A camera and a pair of binoculars for closer viewing are never a bad idea! Ketchikan sees average annual rainfall between 140 and 160 inches per year and a rain jacket is recommended. Maximum of 10 guests per tour.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from cruise terminal.
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Guide for identifying tide pool creatures
- Beach bonfire with s'mores and hot drinks
- Dress in warm layers, and wear comfortable shoes
- Bring your camera and a pair of binoculars for closer viewing
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20 minutes - transportation to the beach
- 1.5 hours - tidepool exploration and bonfire
- 20 minutes - transportation to cruise ship dock
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. Guests docking at Ward Cove will be picked up from Ward Cove (primarily Norwegian ships). Fully detailed meeting instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress for the weather. Layered clothing is always recommended for Alaskan weather. Closed-toe shoes are recommended for the terrain.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
What is included in this excursion?
S'mores, hot drinks, and round-trip transportation from the cruise ship docks.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!