Explore Sitka's sheltered waterways, harbors, and picturesque coves during the Sitka Harbor & Islands Guided Paddle Kayak Tour!
Your adventure begins with an equipment and safety orientation by your guides. You'll then set out at a leisurely pace to explore sheltered waterways, harbors, and coves. Sitka's dependence on the sea will be fully evident as you paddle near fishermen, tug boat crews and Coast Guard sailors all tending to their vessels.
Beyond the harbor, we'll explore island shores and kelp forests while keeping an eye out for abundant wildlife above and below the water's surface. You may also have the opportunity to visit a small aquarium and salmon hatchery, or even watch wild salmon gathering near a stream, preparing to spawn.
Throughout the tour, your attentive and friendly guide will relate interesting stories about the area, explain the ecology of the forests and ocean, and point out wildlife and other interesting sights. Bottled water and a light snack will be provided.
Please note: You need a minimum of 2 passengers to book this excursion. Bring layered clothing, comfortable shoes, and a warm hat. Guides, kayaks, paddle gear, snack, and bottled water are included. The minimum age to participate in this tour is 4 years old, minimum weight is 40 pounds and maximum weight is 275 pounds with a maximum height of 6 feet 6 inches. Maximum of 12 passengers.
Duration: 2.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Paddle Time: 2 hours.)
- Paddle gear, equipment, life vests, and dry bags for cameras
- Light snacks, and bottled water
- Layered clothing, comfortable shoes, and a warm hat
- Sunglasses, camera, binoculars, gloves and rain gear
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum weight: 40lbs (to properly fit child-size PFD's life vests)
- Maximum weight: 275lbs
- Minimum age: 4 years old
- Maximum height: 6 feet 6 inches
- Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak.
Duration: 2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20~30 minutes - safety orientation, equipment orientation, and instruction
- 2 hours - kayaking tour
- This tour meets in the Crescent Harbor parking lot. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests need to be able to get in and out of double kayak cockpits independently (good balance required) and paddle for approximately 2 hours. Guests also must be able to sit upright during paddling with legs extended out. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
No experience is necessary to participate on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Will my tour be cancelled if it's raining?
Fortunately, rain doesn't diminish the fun or safety of sea kayaking. We will outfit you with fully-rainproof gear if it looks certain to be a wet day.
Is it possible that I will tip over and do I have to know how to swim?
It is possible to tip over, however it's a very rare occurrence. Our professional guides will provide good instruction on the basic paddling and bracing techniques, and you'll find out for yourself that the double kayaks are far more stable than you might imagine. You don't need to know how to swim. You'll be wearing a PFD (life vest) at all times while in the kayak.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored prior to kayaking and are not allowed while on tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Light snacks and bottled water are included.
Are there any age restrictions?
There is a minimum age of 4 years old to participate. Additionally, guests taller than 6 feet 6 inches or wieghing over 275lbs cannot be accomodated.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak. Please inform the guides about any other physical limitations.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket and sneakers or waterproof boots. Sunglasses and gloves are are also recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Jun 2019 - Dale R.
I took my family of 7 sea kayaking with guide Ella. We all had a fantastic time many thanks to the tour operator and Ella for the fantastic experience. We were able to see Bald Eagles, Star fish, Anemones during the tour. I would absolutely recommend this tour and way cheaper then the Cruise ship offerings.
Sep 2018 - Stephanie T.
Everything went smoothly, was worried about booking an off the cruise ship excursion. It was great and our guide was very nice and knowledgeable! Will be recommending this to others!