Your adventure begins with an equipment and safety orientation by your guides. You'll then set out at a leisurely pace to explore sheltered waterways, harbors and coves. Sitka's dependence on the sea will be fully evident as you paddle near fishermen, tug boat crews and Coast Guard sailors all tending to their vessels.
Beyond the harbor we'll explore island shores and kelp forests, while keeping an eye out for abundant wildlife above and below the water's surface. You may also have the opportunity to visit a small aquarium and salmon hatchery, or even watch wild salmon gathering near a stream, preparing to spawn.
Throughout the tour your attentive, friendly guide will relate interesting stories about the area, explain the ecology of the forests and ocean, and point out wildlife and other interesting sights. Bottled water and a light snack will be provided.
Please note: You need a minimum of 2 passengers to book this excursion. Bring layered clothing, comfortable shoes, and a warm hat. Guides, kayaks, paddle gear, snack and bottled water are included. Minimum age to participate in this tour is 6 years old, minimum weight is 40 pounds and maximum weight is 275 pounds with a maximum height of 6 feet 6 inches. Maximum of 12 passengers.
Duration: 2.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Paddle Time: 2 hours.)
- Waterproof outerwear, paddle gear, and dry bags for cameras
- Light snacks, and bottled water
- Layered clothing, comfortable shoes and a warm hat
- Sun glasses, camera, binoculars, gloves and rain gear
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum weight: 40lbs
- Maximum weight: 275lbs
- Minimum age: 6 years old
- Maximum height: 6 feet 6 inches
- Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak.
Duration: 2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20-30 minutes safety orientation, equipment orientation and instruction
- 2 hours kayaking tour
- This tour meets in the Crescent Harbor parking lot. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests need to be able to get in and out of double kayak cockpits independently (good balance required) and paddle for approximately 2 hours. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
No experience is necessary to participate on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored prior to kayaking and are not allowed while on tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Light snacks and bottled water are included.
Are there any age restrictions?
There is a minimum age of 6 years old to participate. Additionally, guests taller than 6 feet 6 inches or wieghing over 275lbs cannot be accomodated.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak. Please inform the guides about any other physical limitations.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket and sneakers or waterproof boots. Sunglasses and gloves are are also recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!