This wildlife tour starts with a scenic 8-mile drive along the inner passage, which allows chances of spotting whales along the way (if whales are sighted during the drive, don't worry, we do pull over for photo and video opportunities). The tour is offered in Spanish or English!
The first stop is called Herring Cove, which is a large open field with a river running through that is affected by the low and high tides. This location attracts many bears, salmon, bald eagles, seals, geese, and various birds all using this location as a common feeding ground, making this spot ideal for wildlife viewing at any time of the day!
This tour also includes a stop and walk at Buggie Beach a location once used to mine quartz gold. Here, your group will explore the tide pools of the coastal inner passage for sea life like crabs, fish, hermit crabs, sea anemones, starfish, and more, with opportunities for Orca and Humpback sightings as well!
The final destination is a journey into the past with a guided tour through Saxman Native Village.
This relaxing and peaceful walk, through the village, brings you up close to the beauty and detail of these totem poles created by the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian tribes. Our guides explain the legends of these various totem poles, carving details, and symbolism.
There is a carving center on-site, where these totem poles are created, allowing you a closer view of the tools and process involved, possibly seeing a master carver at work!
A minimum of 4 guests are required to book this tour. Tours can accommodate 4-8 guests but please email [email protected]
if you have a larger party. To request a Spanish-speaking guide, please leave a note at checkout. Please note: Saxman Native Village charges five dollars a person at entry. This is not included in the tour price.
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Private roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Fully narrated tour with your local guide, English or Spanish
- Umbrellas are available to use as needed in case of rain
- Bottled Water
- Air-conditioned van for those warmer Alaskan days
- Seat belt-equipped van
- Clean touring van with clean windows
- Saxman Native Village charges five dollars per person at entry
- Dress in warm layers, and wear comfortable shoes
- Bring your camera
- 4 person minimum to operate
Duration: 3 hours. Speak to your tour guide if you wish to extend your tour time.
- Saxman Native Village (Five dollar charge per person at the entry, not included in tour price)
- Herring Cove
- Buggie Beach
- This tour meets 10 minutes prior to departure time in front of your cruise ship. Guest docking at Ward Cove will be picked up from Ward Cove but need to take the shuttle back to Ward Cove from downtown Ketchikan. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb into and out of the van/coach. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour. This tour does not have a wheelchair lift but foldable wheelchairs and walkers are welcome.
Are there any restrooms available on this tour?
There are restroom stops available at the Saxman Native Village and Herring Cove viewing area.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress for the weather. Layered clothing is always recommended for Alaskan weather. Sneakers are recommended for the terrain.
Do you have Spanish-speaking guides?
Yes, this tour is offered in Spanish! Please leave a comment at checkout to request the tour in Spanish.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however, this is not a designated wildlife-watching tour and nothing can be guaranteed!
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour. There are restroom stops available at the Saxman Native Village and Herring Cove viewing area.
Do you accommodate large groups?
If your group is larger than 7 guests, please email [email protected] to check for availability.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2023 - Brenda D.
Had an amazing time on this tour and it covered everything we wanted to see during our brief time in Ketchikan. Transportation was clean and comfortable, our guide was friendly and enjoyable to spend time with and the places we stopped at were great!!! Very few crowds and just made for the perfect way to explore this quaint town (away from the cruise ship traffic). I highly recommend this experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Aug 2023 - Pedro R.
Great time in Ketchikan, Bianca made us feel very special and welcome. Beautiful journey in Alaska.