Alaska is home to some of the best fly fishing spots in the world, and it's no coincidence that we happen to have some of the best guides around. We will pick you up near your cruise ship dock and will transport you to our floatplane base for a memorable fishing trip. You will be fishing primarily for rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and dolly varden. Remove yourself from the big groups of cruise ship goers and participate in this scenic, secluded, Alaskan tradition.
Round trip transportation to and from the cruise ship, all necessary fishing equipment (except for your 1-day fishing license, which you can purchase online or at our shop on the day of your tour), and guidance from an experienced fly fisherman.
Keep your eyes peeled while flying and fishing for the abundant Alaskan wildlife. While this is not a guarantee, sightings are possible on any tour. Guests typically have success in this seldom-fished lake so gear up and enjoy some family-friendly fishing in Ketchikan.
Please be aware this tour is for children ages five and above. You will have a safety briefing before heading out on the water and flightseeing. Enjoy the pilot's narration through a provided headset as you gaze out your floatplane window. Each passenger will have a window view.
Please Report Accurate Weights of each Passenger
Accurate weights are needed to determine the correct size plane for this excursion to fit the balance and weight profile of your aircraft. Reporting inaccurate weights could result in a canceled excursion not being eligible for a refund.
Please note: This tour requires that you obtain a one-day fishing license, which can be purchased through the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game
. This tour is catch-and-release. The minimum age is 4.
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from the cruise ship terminal. )
- Noise canceling headset to listen to the pilot's narration during the 1.5 hour flightseeing
- Fishing gear including: waders, rods, tackle
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship dock
- Bottled water
- Fishing License - this will need to be purchased online or on the day of the tour
- Rain jacket
- Minimum of 3 participants required for this tour
- Minimum age: 5 years old
- Guests must be comfortable walking short distances and getting into and out of the float plane.
- The children's ticket must be accompanied by two adult tickets
- Not recommended for guest's with back or hip problems
- Signed liability waiver
- One-day fishing license (we recommend purchasing this online in advance from the AK Department of Fish and Game)
- Accurate weights are needed to determine the correct size plane for this excursion to fit the balance and weight profile of your aircraft. Reporting inaccurate weights could result in a canceled excursion not eligible for a refund.
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes - transportation from the Visitor's Center to the floatplane dock (If your cruise ship docks at WARD COVE, please review detailied meeting instructions for pick up information)
- 45 minutes - flightseeing via floatplane
- 1 hour - fishing
- 45 minutes - flightseeing via floatplane
- 15 minutes - transportation from floatplane base to downtown Ketchikan
- This tour meets at the Bronze Statue on the north side of the Ketchikan Visitor's Center. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers. All guests docking at WARD COVE, your guide will pick you up at this dock. Please review finalized meeting instructions for more information.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
How many passengers ride in the floatplane together?
There is a maximum of either 4 or 6 passengers per floatplane depending on weight.
Where can I purchase a fishing license?
We recommend purchasing your one-day fishing license online from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.
What is the temperature in the floatplane?
The temperature during flight is roughly similar to the ground temperature, and each plane is equipped with heaters if necessary.
Will I get a window seat on the plane?
Yes, all seats on the floatplane have a window view.
Am I guaranteed to catch fish or see wildlife on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed. While there is generally good success with fishing, there are no guarantees.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The minimum age for this tour is 5 years old.
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored in the rear cargo area of the floatplane.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Bottled water is provided.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances and getting on and off the aircraft with minimal assistance. This tour is not recommended for guest's with back or hip problems.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing and water resistant jackets are recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
May 2023 - Daniel B.
Awesome time. Perfect! Jim as the fishing guide was superb. He made sure everyone caught a fish...which was a challenge! The planes were awesome.