Set out from Ketchikan to visit and learn about the Tlingit culture at the Saxman Native Village Totem Park. Enjoy a brief photo stop and a guided tour of the park for approximately 45 minutes. Scattered throughout the park are 25 authentic totem replicas of original poles left in abandoned villages as Native Alaskans moved into more populated areas.
This area is home to the descendants of Sannya Kwaan who originally traveled here from Cape Fox Village. Throughout your excursion, you will get to explore the living history of this community by observing the totem poles, capturing a photo of the Beaver Clan House, and viewing the active Carving Center where artists come to hone their craft.
Continue on to the rustic yet historic George Inlet Lodge for a uniquely Alaskan meal. Come hungry for delicious fresh, hot-steaming Dungeness Crab served with a side salad and rich blueberry
The historic lodge was once an old cannery bunkhouse. This is sure to be an Alaskan highlight as you let the lodge's warmth and rustic charm sweep over you. Enjoy local tall tails as your host teaches you the easiest way to crack your crabs. Please dress warmly and appropriately. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended. The sequence of tour elements may vary by tour. Some elements are outside and on uneven surfaces. Cameras are allowed. Alternative menu options are available if guests do not want crab or are allergic to seafood.
Duration: 3.5-4 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. (Guests docking at Ward Cove will be picked up and dropped off at Ward Cove))
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Access to Saxman Native Village Totem Park
- Dungeness Crab Meal at the George Inlet Lodge
- One alcoholic beverage is included with the meal
- Unlimited hot/cold beverages: soda, water, tea, and coffee
- Shopping opportunity at the gift shop
- There are 79 steps from the parking lot down to the dining room. There is a shuttle available if anyone is physically unable to walk up or down the stairs.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
Duration: 3.5-4 hours. Tour times below are approximate and the order of events may vary:
- 20-25 minutes - transportation to Saxman Native Village Totem Park
- 45 minutes - Access to the Saxman Native Village Totem Park
- 20 minutes - transportation to George Inlet Lodge
- 1.5 hours - Dungeness Crab Meal at the George Inlet Lodge
- 30-40 minutes - return transportation to Ward Cove and Downtown Ketchikan
- Guest docking at WARD COVE will be picked up and dropped off here. All other cruise ship guests or those staying locally will meet at the Ketchikan Visitor Center. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 3-5 steps into and out of the van and shuttle. There are 79 stairs from the parking lot down to the dining room/dock. If a guest is unable to walk up or down the stairs, a shuttle is available. Please leave a comment during checkout if ADA accommodations will be required on tour.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Guests must be 3 years of age or older. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress warmly in layered clothing appropriate for the weather. Comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended.
Do you offer any discounts or promotions?
We offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Do you offer tours for large groups?
Definitely, arrangements of tours for groups or large families are possible. Please contact us at [email protected] with your group requests.
Can multiple families book this tour and be together?
Yes! Multiple families may join the same tour as long as adequate space is available and the maximum is not exceeded.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!