Enjoy a uniquely Alaskan experience with this tour to Saxman Native Village, one of Ketchikan's most popular attractions. We'll start with a scenic drive through town and along Ketchikan's coastline.
Saxman is a small town near Ketchikan with a population of about 400 people, most of whom are Alaska Natives. At the village, you will have the privilege of learning about Alaska Native culture, customs, and modern lifestyles.
You'll be welcomed in the Tlingit language and invited to the Beaver Clan House, a wooden structure painted with a beautiful representation of a beaver. It's time for the highlight of the tour, a private performance by the Cape Fox Dancers, dressed in elaborate regalia. Through traditional song, dance, and props, they will portray cultural stories and teach about Alaska Native history.
You will then be guided through the Canoe Canopy, where you can learn about the history of these Native-style boats. Canoes are a true feat of innovation, and they were vital to the peoples of Southeast Alaska for thousands of years. You will also have a chance to check out the Carving Center, for an up-close look at the art of totem pole carving and paint making.
You'll finally head to the famous Totem Park, which houses 25 authentically carved totems. Each pole holds cultural significance, and the symbols tell a unique story. You'll learn in-depth about the meanings and symbolism behind each pole.
This tour is an excellent opportunity to learn firsthand from the peoples whose ancestors have stewarded this land for centuries. Saxman Native Village is accessible and fun for both kids and adults, making it a great choice for multi-generational families traveling together!
Duration: 2-2.5 hours (Roundtrip from downtown cruise terminal or Ward Cove.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Access to Saxman Native Village totem park, carving center, and canoe canopy
- Private performance by the Cape Fox Dancers
- Shopping Opportunity in the Gift Shop
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Duration: 2-2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate and the order of events may vary:
- 15-20 minutes - transportation to Saxman Native Village
- 1.5 - 1.75 hours - Saxman Native Village
- 15-20 minutes - return transportation to Ward Cove and Downtown Ketchikan
- Guest docking at WARD COVE will be picked up and dropped off here. All other cruise ship guests or those staying locally will meet at the Ketchikan Visitor Center. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is fully accessible for guests with wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers. Most vehicles used have the space to accommodate collapsible equipment. There is a chairlift available upon request in advance. Please let us know at checkout if you will be bringing any medical equipment or will require the use of the lift.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress warmly in layered clothing appropriate for the weather. Comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended.
Do you offer any discounts or promotions?
We offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Do you offer tours for large groups?
Definitely, arrangements of tours for groups or large families are possible. Please contact us at [email protected] with your group requests.
Can multiple families book this tour and be together?
Yes! Multiple families may join the same tour as long as adequate space is available and the maximum is not exceeded.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!