Your excursion begins with a picturesque coastal drive along the Tongass Narrows to Potlatch Totem Park located 10 miles north of downtown Ketchikan. During this ride, listen to your guide's narration regarding Ketchikan's rich fishing history and landmarks such as the old Pulp Mill and Ward Cove Fish Cannery.
Once you arrive at Potlatch Park, be introduced to the culture that once was a native fishing paradise. This park is a flashback into the 1800"s with its majestically carved totem poles, red cedar dug-out canoe, authentically built clan houses, and tribal houses.
Stroll up to the carving center where the carvers practice their precise carving techniques. Shop at Alaska Totem Trading Shop and stop at Russian Museum to view a display of rare antique firearms dating back from 1535-1868. Mammoth tusks, furs, ivory, and other fascinating curiosities can be seen along with a collection of rare automobiles.
Next, travel south and pass downtown Ketchikan before heading to Herring Cove. Here you can take a picture of the infamous Creek Street and hear about its red-light district during the first half of the 20th century. Once we arrive at Herring Cove, slow down and take in the sights and sounds of this beautiful wildlife area. During salmon season, black bears, eagles, herons, and seals show up frequently to feed on salmon as they fight their way upstream from June through September.
Duration: 2.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Fully narrated tour
- Park entry fees are included
- Umbrellas are available to use as needed for tour duration
- Dress in warm layers, wear comfortable shoes
- Bring your camera and a pair of binoculars for closer viewing
Duration: 2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- Scenic coastal drive - 10 miles North along the Tongass Narrows
- Old Pulp Mill and Ward Cove Fish Cannery
- Potlatch Park - Totem Poles and Native Carving Center
- Alaska Totem Trading Souvenir Shop and Russian Museum
- City of Ketchikan drive - 9 miles South
- Herring Cove
- This tour meets inside the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau, booth #17, located in front of berth 2 on the dock.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb into and out of the van/coach. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour. This tour does not have a wheelchair lift but foldable wheelchairs and walkers are welcome.
Are there any restrooms available on this tour?
There are restroom stops available at the Potlatch Totem Park and Herring Cove viewing area.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress for the weather. Layered clothing is always recommended for Alaskan weather. Sneakers are recommended for the terrain.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions on this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containters and snacks are allowed.
Do you offer tours for large groups?
Definitely! If you have a larger group, we can accommodate in 25 passenger coaches or larger. Please contact us with your group requirements.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!