**WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASON**
Haines is home breathtaking views and magnificent wildlife. Spend the day with an experience naturalist as your guide exploring the area and learning about the plants, and animals that make up the wilds of Alaska.
This excursion begins in with a 45 minute high speed catamaran ferry to the small town Haines. Upon arrival, we'll start with a narrated driving through the historic Fort Seward, the first military base in Alaska. As you leave town, you'll embark on a journey through the amazing Chilkoot Valley on your way to the Chilkoot River corridor filled with coastal views along the longest fjord in North America.
The Chilkoot River is home to some of the best bear viewing in Alaska. Salmon run in high demand through the river which brings in good numbers of bears every year. It's located between rugged glacial peaks that are home to numerous brown bears, mountain goats, salmon, river otters, and bald eagles. This area is a bird paradise as well with an abundance of local and migratory birds.
After visiting the Chikoot River, you'll enjoy a seaside picnic including sandwiches, chips, fruit, and cookies. After lunch, you'll head to the mouth of the Chilkat River, home of the largest concentration of bald eagles in the world. The final stop on your excursion is habitat to all five species of wild pacific salmon, drawing all of Alaska's predators to its shores.
Don't forget to bring your camera to capture the unparalleled beauty of the Chilkat River before the drive back to the ferry.
This tour only operates July - September to maximizes our potential to view bears and eagles feeding on the spawning salmon. Bear and other wildlife sightings are not guaranteed. The tour stops can vary slightly according to maximum wildlife viewing potential.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal)
- Round trip transportatin from the ship
- Picnic style lunch included
- Provided equiptment: shared spotting scopes and binoculars
- Guests need to be able to get in and out of the van and walk on uneven surfaces
Duration: 6.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes for tour group to meet and make your way to the ferry to Haines
- 50 minutes narrated, scenic catamaran to Haines
- 30 minutes driving tour of Fort Seward and Haines
- 30 minutes continue to Picture Point for a photo opportunity
- 3 hour visit Chilkot River and the Chilkoot Lake for wildlife sightings and a beach picnic
- 1 hour scenic ferry back to Skagway
- 15 minutes transport back to the cruise ship terminal
- This tour meets at the end of the pier. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What is the recommended clothing for this tour?
We recommend dressing in layers. Also, this tour operates rain or shine, so don't forget your rain jacket!
Are there any age restrictions for children?
No, there are no age restirictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks and small bags are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Beverages and lunch are included.
What if I had food allergies or dietary restrictions?
Just let us know when you're booking your reservation. There are alternative lunch options to accommodate most dietary restrictions with advanced notice at no additional charge.
Are there restrooms throughout this tour?
Yes. Restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour, on the ferry during your travel to Haines, and on the dock once you arrive in Haines.