Ketchikan has several historic highlights you won't want to miss! From bears and totem parks to colorful Creek Street, this tour will charter a small group to multiple local destinations. Keep your eyes peeled and cameras ready for the sights and sounds of beautiful Southeast Alaska. Visit the 33-acre Totem Bight State Historical Park, home to 14 Native American totem poles, breathtaking beach and waterfront views, and the stunning Clan House.
This tour allows for an exciting opportunity to try and view Ketchikan black bears in their natural habitat. Wildlife can be unpredictable so while Herring Cove is home to many bears, eagles, etc. wildlife sightings cannot be guaranteed.
Stopping at Creek Street is a popular destination to see salmon returning to spawn, with lots of unique shops to find that perfect gift. Learn more about the interesting history of the creek from its brothels, taverns, the fish ladder, and married man's trail are just a few of the historic attractions that make the boardwalk a must-see highlight.
This tour does have customizable options. To learn more about options and rates, please contact our customer service team at [email protected]
Additional sights to customize your trip include:
Hike Ward Lake trail
Refuge Beach trail
Hiking Rainbird trail
Herring Cove bear viewing
Hike through Frog Pond
Hike Pipeline trail
Private pick-up from Norwegian dock (in ward cove) is available.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from the Ketchikan Visitor Center. Ward Cove guests will be picked up from Ward Cove.)
- Round-trip transportation from the Ketchikan Visitor Center and guest's docked at Ward Cove.
- Bottled water
- Complimentary binoculars
- Parks and trails brochures
- This tour has multiple stops that require exiting and entering the van. This tour is not recommended for anyone needing assistance or needing a wheelchair.
- This tour operates in most weather conditions. It is recommended to wear weather-appropriate, layered clothing and comfortable shoes.
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times below are approximate and customizable:
- 5 minutes - tour introductions and boarding
- 30 minutes - Totem Bight State Historical Park
- 30 minutes - Herring Cove
- 30 minutes - Creek Street
- 25 minutes - budgeted time for extra stops or for sights the group stays longer at and return to drop-off location
- This tour meets at the Ketchikan Visitors Center - Booth 6 for guest docking at Berths 1-4. Guests docking at Ward Cove will be picked up from the Ward Cove dock. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What is the policy for bad weather?
Ketchikan has an annual rainfall of between 140-160 inches per year. This excursion operates in most weather conditions but full refunds are granted should the local tour operator need to cancel due to weather concerns.
How many passengers will there be on this excursion?
This small group van tour can include up to 13 passengers per vehicle.
May I customize or privately charter a tour?
Yes, please email our customer service team at [email protected] to learn more about customizing your experience and rates.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Comfortable clothing and layers appropriate for the day of weather conditions. Rain jackets are encouraged.
What should I bring on tour?
Cameras and phones may be brought on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
While wildlife is abundant, however, specific wildlife sightings cannot be guaranteed.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!