This private 2.5 hour adventure begins with driving north on a picturesque 10 mile coastal drive along the Tongass Narrows. While heading to the Potlatch Totem park, you will pass by the old Pulp Mill and Ward Cove Fish Cannery. Your knowledgeable guide will tell you the Ketchikan's fishing and logging history during the ride.
The Potlatch Totem Park is located on historic Tlingit Native fishing grounds located on the shores of the Tongass Narrows. Here you can go back to the 1800s and check out what a Native Fishing Village would have looked like. You'll see multiple clan and tribal houses, totem poles, and panels while appreciating the beauty of smoothly carved wood and hearing the legends behind the designs. Visit the Native carving center for an exclusive demonstration by the carver in residence and learn about their ancient technique. Potlatch Totem Park is also home to an antique car collection, featuring a 1934 Ford Coupe and 1924 Stanley Steamer. Next, we will stop at the Alaska Totem Trading Souvenir Shop and Russian Museum. View a display of historically rare antique firearms, dating back from 1535-1868 along with displays of mammoth tusks, furs, ivory, and other fascinating curiosities.
Hope on the private van/coach again as we will travel south through the city of Ketchikan before heading to beautiful Herring Cove. A quant Salmon Spawning River and Bay that takes you far away from the crowds and the hustle bustle of downtown. Slow down and take in the sights and sounds of this beautiful wildlife area. During salmon season, black bears, eagles, heron and seals show up frequently to feed on salmon as they fight their way upstream June through September. Wrap up the tour with a visit to Creek Street and the historic Red Light District before returning to your ship.
If your party is 14 people or less, please select the $850 option. For parties larger than 14, please select the $1,265 option.
Duration: 2.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Fully narrated tour with a public address system onboard
- Park entry fees are included
- Umbrellas are available to use as needed for tour duration
- Dress in warm layers, wear comfortable shoes
- Bring your camera and a pair of binoculars for closer viewing
Duration: 2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- Scenic coastal drive - 10 miles North along the Tongass Narrows
- Old Pulp Mill and Ward Cove Fish Cannery
- Potlatch Park - Totem Poles and Native Carving Center
- Alaska Totem Trading Souvenir Shop and Russian Museum
- City of Ketchikan drive - 9 miles South
- Herring Cove
- This tour meets inside the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau, booth #12, located in front of berth 2 on the dock.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb into and out of the van/coach. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour. This tour does not have a wheelchair lift but foldable wheelchairs and walkers are welcome.
Which price should I select?
If your party is 14 people or less, please select the $ 850 option. For parties larger than 14, please select the $ 1,265 option.
Are there any restrooms available on this tour?
There are restroom stops available at the Potlatch Totem Park and Herring Cove viewing area.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress for the weather. Layered clothing is always recommended for Alaskan weather. Sneakers are recommended for the terrain.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Do you offer tours for large groups?
Definitely! If you have a larger group, we can accommodate in 25 passenger coaches or larger. Please contact us with your group requirements.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2022 - Merilee O.
We loved this excursion! We were on a Disney Cruise and booked this private tour for nine of us. Carson was a great guide. The highlight of our trip was seeing the mama bear and cub fishing for salmon at Herring Cove. We could have stayed and watched all day if we had time! Potlatch Park was also very interesting. Thank you!