Ketchikan Backcountry Tongass SUV Tour
A perfect tour for multi-generational families traveling together!
Get away from the crowds and enjoy some peace and quiet with nature on this 2-hour driving tour. Your local guide will chauffeur you through a portion of the stunning Tongass National Forest, the country's largest national forest at almost 17 million acres.
Your guide for this tour is an informed, knowledgeable Ketchikan local who is passionate about protecting Alaska's old-growth forests. You'll see unbelievable scenic vistas as your Toyota Sequoia navigates a dirt road filled with switchbacks.
This tour is an amazing opportunity to connect with yourself, your small group of 7 guests or less, your guide, and the wilderness of Southeast Alaska. You will soon see how special this area is and why we are so passionate about maintaining its beauty.
If you're interested in eco-tourism and environmental conservation, don't miss this incredible opportunity to learn from a passionate Alaskan local. You will cherish the memories and incredible photos you take forever. Speaking of photos - don't forget your camera!
This tour can be made private for small groups of 1-5 people. If you would like a private tour for your small group, please select the appropriate "Private Group" pricing option.
Important notes: If you are booking earlier in the cruise season (April/May) or in late October, occasionally tours need to be cancelled due to snowpack on the roads from winter. If this happens, you will be refunded in full.
Private tours may be available for an additional fee. Please contact us for more information.
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Bottled water
- No minimum age. Children under 8 are required to be in a car seat. Only 2 car seats are available, which need to be requested as front-facing or rear-facing. Please inform us of the age and weight of your child under 8.
- Maximum guest weight is 240 lbs to account for the SUV's maximum payload of 1300 lbs.
- Signed liability waiver
- Face masks to protect against COVID-19 are required during this tour. One will be provided if necessary.
Please do not book this tour if you are not comfortable wearing a mask for up to 2 hours. Refunds will not be provided for guests who choose not to wear a mask.
- Leave no trace: no littering or items left behind.
- No tobacco, drugs, or alcohol.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from cruise terminal.)
- 20 minutes - head north out of Ketchikan
- 30 minutes - drive through Tongass National Forest to the end of the mountain road
- 25 minutes - turn around and drive back
- 15 minutes - offshoot drive to a scenic lake
- 10 minutes - flex time to account for unexpected traffic or other delays
- 20 minutes - drive back to cruise terminal
- This tour meets on the cruise ship dock - Berth 3. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible and you will be seated for the majority. Guests should be able to climb 2 steps into a 4x4 SUV and be able to bend, duck, and hold steady to access a third row seat if necessary. Please be aware that there are few bathroom facilities available and they may be rugged. There is outhouse access about 30 minutes into the tour, and again at 90 minutes in. Depending on number of guests booked, there is limited space available in the SUV for one collapsible wheelchair and/or a collapsible walker. There is no storage for motorized scooters. Please contact us if you are interested in this tour and require collapsible medical equipment.
Yes. Transportation is provided from Berth 3 of the cruise terminal. Guests docking at Ward Cove can take the shuttle to the main terminal to catch this tour. Pick-up at Ward Cove may be provided upon request, and further details are included on your ticket voucher.
Guests arriving by air/ferry, locals, and all other non-cruise guests can arrange an alternative pick-up location with the tour operator. Further details are included on your ticket voucher.
No. Because the tour takes place in an Alaskan temperate rainforest, rain is likely and can be a beautiful part of the experience.
This tour takes place on a dirt road with switchbacks, which our 4x4 SUV is perfect for navigating. The road is wide enough for one car to comfortably drive, and to safely pull over for oncoming traffic. The road is wide enough to maintain a safe distance from the edge of any potential mountain drop-offs and is often buffered by a natural "fence" of trees. This is not an extreme off-roading-type tour.
Depending on mountain snowpack from the winter, one of the roads this tour utilizes may not be passable. Occasionally this results in cancellations earlier in the cruise season (April/May) or possibly in late October. In the event your tour is cancelled, an alternative tour or full refund will be provided.
This is not a designated wildlife tour, and you are not likely to see large animals from the vehicle. However, it is always a possibility in Alaska and we suggest keeping your eyes and ears open! Your guide will carry bear spray as a precaution in the unlikely event you encounter a bear on this tour.
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour. We recommend a warm outerwear layer (sweatshirt/jacket/sweater). Face masks may be required on this tour, which the operator can provide. If you have a specific type of mask requirement or preference, please bring your own.
Bottled water is included. We recommend eating a snack before the tour if possible — this is a "leave no trace" excursion and there may not be trash facilities immediately available.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
We do not have any review about this excursion yet.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 2 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 2 hours
Adult (18+): $114.00
Child (0-17): $74.00
Private Group (1-2): $456.00
Private Group (3-5): $798.00