Southeast Alaska has a rich history and this tour allows you to explore and immerse yourself in the local traditions with a visit to Saxman Native Village. Enjoy local performances by the lumberjack crew and the traditional Cape Fox Dancers.
The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show is an action-packed head-to-head lumberjack competition. Lumberjacks compete at log rolling, tree climbing, axe throwing & more with audience participation. Celebrate Alaska's logging history as it comes to life with impressive displays of strength and agility.
Journey to Saxman Native Village, where your tour host will welcome you in the Tlingit dialect and direct you into the Beaver Clan House. Find a seat and prepare yourself for an elaborate display of traditional songs and dances performed by the Cape Fox Dancers. Through banging drums, infused aromas, lighting, native props, and regalia the songs will portray the stories of the fierce warrior men and women of the village. After the performance, your host will guide you through the canoe canopy for a background of canoe making and fishing along with the Carving Center for an up-close look at totem pole carving and paint making. The totem pole park is the last area to explore which includes detailed descriptions of the figures carved and the cultural significance of each pole.
Prior to arriving in Saxman Native Village, be sure to check out the many historic landmarks and beautiful artwork throughout Downtown Ketchikan. The combination of historic bridges, buildings, boutique shops, flowing creeks, and totem poles bring this city alive. Be sure to capture as many pictures as possible while traveling along the coastline of the Tongass Narrows.
Please dress warmly and appropriately. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended. The sequence of tour elements may vary by tour. The culinary menu varies daily and based on availability of fresh products. Cameras are allowed.
Duration: 3.5-4.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. (Guests docking at Ward Cove will be picked up and dropped off at Ward Cove))
- Roundtrip transportation
- Access to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show for a 1-hour performance
- Access to Saxman Native Village including the Beaver Clan House Carving Center, Canoe Canopy, and Totem Park
- Private performance by the Cape Fox Dancers
- Shopping opportunity in the gift shop
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
Duration: 3.5-4.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate and the order of events may vary:
- 10-20 minutes - transportation to your first portion of the excursion
- 60 minutes - Access to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show
- 20 minutes - transportation to the Saxman Native Village
- 90 minutes - Saxman Native Village culinary experience and cultural showcase
- 20 -30 minutes - return transportation to Ward Cove and Downtown Ketchikan
- Guest docking at WARD COVE will be picked up and dropped off here. All other cruise ship guests or those staying locally will meet at the Ketchikan Visitor Center. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is fully accessible for guests with wheelchairs, scooters, and walkers. Most vehicles used have the space to accommodate collapsible equipment. There is a chairlift available upon request in advance. Please let us know at checkout if you will be bringing any medical equipment or will require the use of the lift.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Children 2 and under are free of charge.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress warmly in layered clothing appropriate for the weather. Comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended.
What is seating like at the lumberjack show?
Seating at the lumberjack show is fully covered and heated.
Do you offer any discounts or promotions?
We offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Do you offer tours for large groups?
Definitely, arrangements of tours for groups or large families are possible. Please contact us at [email protected] with your group requests.
Can multiple families book this tour and be together?
Yes! Multiple families may join the same tour as long as adequate space is available and the maximum is not exceeded.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!