Ketchikan Coastal Boat and Kayak Tour
Off the shores of the Tongass National Forest, you will find our floating office!
If you have ever dreamed of viewing the wilds of Alaska from the water then this boat & kayak tour is for you! Escape to the uninhabited and picturesque waters that take you to a beautiful place that's only a few nautical miles from the cruise ship docks.
Start the journey at the rain gauge and continue on a short stroll to our warm, dry small craft is harbored at Thomas Basin. There is plenty of storage space in the floating office on the boat for shopping bags and backpacks so that you can comfortably enjoy the best views of Ketchikan from the water. Let our local owners take you on their boat out of town to the kayak location.
The kayaking location will be dependent on the weather, tides, and wildlife. Get geared up in high-quality equipment and expedition-style tandem kayaks. Whether you are a first-time paddler or a seasoned veteran you will be super comfortable and stable. You'll enjoy three full hours on the water as you kayak a route along the shore of a remote Island.
Experience the amazing intertidal ecosystem from a paddle distance away in the tranquility of the Tongass National Forest coastline. There will be a chance to see everything from sea stars, jellyfish, bald eagles to the occasional humpback whale, black bear, and killer whales!
Finish the trip with a snack that consists of Alaskan smoked salmon and beverages.
- Stroll from our meeting location to our floating office
- Bottled Water
- Wild Alaskan smoked salmon snack
- Gear: Rain jackets, rain pants, gloves, life vest
- Boat tour of Ketchikan
- Kayak tour in secluded, protected waters
- Minimum age: 7 years old
- Maximum weight: 270 lbs
- Signed liability waiver
- Minimum of 2 required to book
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- 5 minutes - stroll from the meeting location to boat
- 45 minutes - boat tour**
- 10 minutes - gear up
- 5 minutes - kayak safety and instruction briefing
- 1 hour 20 minutes - kayak tour**
- 15 minutes - smoked salmon picnic
- 20 minutes - return to the dock
- **Times/order of tour operations are subject to change by operators and/or customers' requests.
- This tour meets at the cruise ship terminal. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
- NOTICE FOR ALL PASSENGERS DOCKING AT WARD COVE:
Norwegian guests and those docking at Ward Cove, please allow for 1 hour before beginning a tour post-arrival into Ketchikan. You must take a complimentary shuttle to downtown Ketchikan.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to take 3 to 4 uneven steps from the dock onto the transportation vessel. Guests with limited lower body mobility must have sufficient upper body strength. Required to be able to lower and lift themselves approximately 12 inches from kayak seat to swim step of the boat, on a handlebar at chest height. There is storage for collapsible wheelchairs, collapsible walkers, or crutches. No storage is available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if you need to utilize this storage on the tour.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
On Jun 2023
kayaking is fun, the equipment are well maintained and we get to row around couple small islands.
Eagle is easy to spot, we do see some whale and sea lion but it's pretty far away and only at a glance.
On May 2019
This was a fantastic tour. Mary and Tim were great. We had such a lovely time and were looked after well. Tim was very knowledgeable and skilled. I was a little nervous about sea kayaking but it was great.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 3 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 3 hours
Passenger (Ages 7+): $190.80