If you have ever dreamed of viewing the wilds of Alaska from the water then this boat & kayak tour is for you! Off the shores of the Tongass National Forest, you will find our floating office. Escape to the uninhabited and picturesque waters that take you to a beautiful place that's only a few nautical miles from the cruise ship docks.
Start the journey at the rain gauge and continue on a short stroll to our warm, dry small craft is harbored at Thomas Basin. There is plenty of storage space in the floating office on the boat for shopping bags and backpacks so that you can comfortably enjoy the best views of Ketchikan from the water. Let our local owners take you on their boat out of town to the kayak location.
The kayaking location will be dependent on the weather, tides, and wildlife. Get geared up in high-quality equipment and expedition-style tandem kayaks. Whether you are a first-time paddler or a seasoned veteran you will be super comfortable and stable. You'll enjoy three full hours on the water as you kayak a route along the shore of a remote Island.
Experience the amazing intertidal ecosystem from a paddles distance away in the tranquility of the Tongass National Forest coastline. There will be a chance to see everything from sea stars, jellyfish, bald eagles to the occasional humpback whale, black bear, and killer whales!
Finish the trip with a snack that consists of Alaskan smoked salmon and beverages.
Please note: Minimum Age: 7 years old. Maximum weight is 270lbs. Guests must sign a liability waiver day-of from tour operator.
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Stroll from our meeting location to our floating office
- Bottled Water
- Wild Alaskan smoked salmon snack
- Gear: Rain jackets, rain pants, gloves, life vest
- Boat tour of Ketchikan
- Kayak tour in secluded, protected waters
- Minimum age of 7 years old
- Signed liability waiver
- Max weight is 270 lbs
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 5 minute stroll from meeting location to boat
- 45 minute boat tour**
- 10 minute gear up
- 5 minute kayak safety and instruction briefing
- 1 hour 20 minute kayak tour**
- 15 minute smoked salmon picnic
- 20 minute return to dock
**Times/order of tour operations are subject to change by operators and/or customer request.
- This tour meets at the cruise ship terminal. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to take 3 to 4 uneven steps from the dock onto transportation vessel. Guest with limited lower body mobility must have sufficient upper body strength. Required to be able to lower and lift themselves approximately 12 inches from kayak seat to swim step of the boat, on a handlebar at chest height. There is storage for collapsible wheelchairs, collapsible walkers, crutches. No storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if you need to utilize this storage on the tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Can I use a single kayak?
This tour will use tandem kayaks. Tandems are much more stable, and with two folks paddling you'll be able to cover a lot more water. If you are an experienced paddler interested in a single kayak, please leave a comment during checkout. Special requests are subject to availability, and guest will need to be proficient in self-rescue techniques
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Yes, there is a minimum age requirement of 7 years old
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored in the floating office prior to taking the kayaks out
Are food and drink included?
A small snack will be provided at the end of the tour
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances. Wheelchair assistance is available upon request. Must be able to take 3 to 4 uneven steps from dock onto transportation vessel. Guest must have sufficient upper body stregnth to lower/life themselves approximately 12" from kayak seat to swim step of the boat.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We suggest you wear 2 layers under our water/wind proof paddle jackets. Guests can bring an extra sweater just in case which can be stored in floating office if not needed.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
May 2019 - Margaret H.
This was a fantastic tour. Mary and Tim were great. We had such a lovely time and were looked after well. Tim was very knowledgeable and skilled. I was a little nervous about sea kayaking but it was great.