If you have ever dreamed of viewing the wilds of Alaska from the water then this boat & kayak tour is for you! Escape to uninhabited and picturesque waters that take you to a beautiful place that's only a few nautical miles from the cruise ship docks.
Start the journey at the rain gauge where you will meet your guide and continue on a short stroll down to where the boat is waiting to take you on your Alaskan kayak adventure. Enjoy the best views of Ketchikan from the water as your local owners take you on their boat out of town to the kayak location of the day.
The kayaking location will be dependent on the weather, tides, and wildlife. Get geared up in high-quality equipment and expedition-style tandem kayaks. Whether you are a first-time paddler or a seasoned veteran you will be super comfortable and stable. You'll enjoy three full hours on the water as you kayak a route along the shore of a remote Island.
Experience the amazing intertidal ecosystem from a paddle distance away in the tranquility of the Tongass National Forest coastline. There will be a chance to see everything from sea stars, jellyfish, bald eagles to the occasional humpback whale, black bear, and killer whales!
Finish the trip with a snack that consists of Alaskan smoked salmon and beverages.
Please note: Minimum Age: 7 years old. The maximum weight is 270lbs. Guests must sign a liability waiver day-of from the tour operator.
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Wild Alaskan smoked salmon snack
- Gear: Rain jackets, rain pants, gloves, life vest
- Boat tour of area around Ketchikan on the way to kayak location
- Kayak tour in secluded, protected waters
- Minimum age of 7 years old
- Signed liability waiver
- Max weight is 270 lbs
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 5 minutes walk to the boat from the meeting location
- 35 minutes boating out of town and gearing up
- 1 - 1.5 hours kayak safety and techinique/coastal kayaking
- 5 minutes - kayak safety and instruction briefing
- 45 minutes - picnic on the deck/boating back to town
**Times/order of tour operations are subject to change by operators and/or customers' requests.
- This tour meets at the Ketchikan cruise ship terminal. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers. If berthing at Ward Cove cruise ship terminal, allot extra time to bus into Ketchikan.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to take 3 to 4 uneven steps from the dock onto the transportation vessel. Guests with limited lower body mobility must have sufficient upper body strength. Required to be able to lower and lift themselves approximately 12 inches from kayak seat to swim step of the boat, on a handlebar at chest height. There is storage for collapsible wheelchairs, collapsible walkers, crutches. No storage is available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if you need to utilize this storage on the tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
What style kayaks do we use?
This tour will use expedition style sit-in tandem kayaks.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Yes, there is a minimum age requirement of 7 years old
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored in the boat prior to taking the kayaks out.
Are food and drink included?
A small snack will be provided at the end of the tour
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances. Wheelchair assistance is available upon request. Must be able to take 3 to 4 uneven steps from dock onto transportation vessel. Guest must have sufficient upper body stregnth to lower/life themselves approximately 12" from kayak seat to swim step of the boat.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We suggest you wear 2 layers under our water/wind proof paddle jackets. Guests can bring an extra sweater just in case which can be stored on the boat if not needed.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
May 2019 - Margaret H.
This was a fantastic tour. Mary and Tim were great. We had such a lovely time and were looked after well. Tim was very knowledgeable and skilled. I was a little nervous about sea kayaking but it was great.