Misty Fjords National Monument has been the largest wilderness area within Tongass National Forest since it was designated in 1980. Ketchikan's location on Revillagigedo Island puts you in a prime spot to witness the wonder of the Misty Fjords via floatplane.
A fjord is a narrow inlet surrounded by steep cliffs formed through thousands of years of glacial activity. The wilderness area is characterized by these unique formations, and on a perfect day, you'll be able to see the clouds hanging low over the tops of the trees that give Misty Fjords its name.
After a short ride to the floatplane dock, we'll be on our way! Your floatplane, a type of seaplane, will take off using the water as its runway. These small aircraft are uniquely designed to fly low enough to the ground for you to see fjords in all their glory.
Because the National Monument is specifically a designated wilderness area, its over 2 million acres have been allowed to remain relatively untouched for years. This helps preserve the local ecosystems vital for Alaskans' access to water, food, and clean air.
You'll fly over western hemlock, cedar, and the Alaska state tree, Sitka spruce. It's not guaranteed, but there is always the potential to see large animals like bears, moose, and mountain goats from the air!
Since many cruise ships only stop in Ketchikan for a few hours at a time, this shorter tour is an excellent way to get acquainted with Misty Fjords National Monument. This is a nonstop overhead flight and does not include a stop within Misty Fjords
. If you would like a longer tour with a landing stop, please check out our Deluxe Misty Fjords National Monument Tour
Duration: 1.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise terminal.)
- Individual headsets to listen to the pilot's narration
- 1 full hour of flightseeing over the Misty Fjords
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship dock
- Minimum of 2 participants is required for this tour (If one adult and one child, two adult-priced tickets must be purchased)
- Minimum age: 4 years old
- Guests must be comfortable walking short distances
- Signed liability waiver
- Providing accurate passenger weights is extremely important to determine which size plane is used and to safely balance the aircraft.
- Reporting inaccurate weights may result in a canceled, non-refundable excursion.
Duration: 1.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes - transportation from the cruise terminal to the floatplane dock
- 1 hour - flightseeing via floatplane
- 15 minutes - transportation from the floatplane dock back to the cruise terminal
- This tour meets at the Bronze Statue on the north side of the Visitor's Center. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers. If your ship docks at Ward Cove, you will be picked up there and you do not need to take the shuttle. Please review the ticket voucher for more information.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Guests must be able to get on and off the aircraft with minimal assistance. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. We are unable to accommodate motorized scooters on this tour. Please leave a comment during checkout if ADA accommodations will be required on tour.
How many passengers ride in the floatplane together?
There is a maximum of either 4 or 6 passengers per floatplane depending on which aircraft is utilized.
What is the temperature in the floatplane?
The temperature during flight is roughly similar to the ground temperature, and each plane is equipped with heaters if necessary. As with any tour in Alaska, we suggest wearing layers and a rain jacket.
Will I get a window seat on the plane?
Yes, all seats on the floatplane have a window view.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. However, this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The minimum age for this tour is 4 years old. Purchase of a child's ticket must be accompanied by two adult tickets. If purchasing tickets for only 1 adult and 1 child, an adult-priced ticket must be purchased for the child. Please contact us with questions.
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored in the rear cargo area of the floatplane.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drink is provided on this excursion.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances and getting on and off the aircraft with minimal assistance.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing and water-resistant jackets are recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2023 - Marinella B.
Great tour! It's worth it.
Aug 2023 - Deborah B.
Everything went well.
Jul 2023 - Tracy F.
The company was good - we liked the flightseeing tour and highly recommend.
Jul 2023 - Gary D.
Had a great time. Pilot was professional and informative. Beautiful sights and saw some wildilfe. Highly recommend this tour.
Jul 2023 - Lauren B.
I would absolutely go on this tour again! The scenery was unreal and it was great to have the vantage point from the plane!