On this tour, you will learn about how the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery enhances stocks of wild Alaskan salmon into local waters. Experience large aquariums and touch tank displays featuring over 100 local species. You will also have the opportunity to purchase the state's prized and delicious smoked salmon.
Stand on Brotherhood Bridge and the gorgeous Mendenhall River as your guide explains the glacial nature of this valley and shares stories about the history of this iconic bridge. View the incredible Mendenhall Glacier as it dominates the scenery of this picturesque stop. You will also be able to learn and see much of Alaska's flora and fauna in the area.
You will return along Gastineau Channel where you could potentially see bald eagles hunting for salmon.
Duration: 2.5 hours (Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- All tours are given by a driver/guide
- Admission to the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery
Duration: 2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes transport to Hatchery
- 45 minutes at the hatchery
- 15 minutes transport to brotherhood bridge
- 25 minutes bridge photo-stop
- 20 minutes transport to Homestead Park viewing area
- 15 minutes for Homestead Park photo-stop
- 15 minutes transport through the city to the cruise ship terminal
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is wheelchair accessible. The trails around the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor's Center are packed gravel. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible motorized equipment will be required on tour. If the operator is unaware beforehand of necessary accommodations, they may not be able to accommodate guests day-of.
How many passengers does the tour bus hold?
The maximum capacity for this tour is 50 guests.
What is the seating arrangement of the tour bus?
There is open seating on the tour bus, however if you require a certain seat due to physical impairment then please inform your tour guide.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Bears are often seen near the glacier during the late summer salmon spawning season, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed!
Is admission inside the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery included?
Yes, admission is included.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drinks are included.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Aug 2019 - Susan C.
Was raining on this day. Our guide took us to some lovely spots. The hatchery tour was disappointing not much there.
Jul 2019 - JoAnn H.
The minivan on this tour was not the greatest, but since the weather was beautiful, the A/C (which wasn't working) wasn't missed. There were signs on the dashboard about various things that were broken (gas gauge, tire pressure gauge and engine service light). We felt the vehicle should have been in better condition to escort tourists around. Our driver, however, was superb!