**WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASON**
Experience the history of Alaska with this informational and engaging excursion!
Meet your guide just a few steps from the pier, at the main cruise ship terminal. After everyone is comfortably settled in the motorcoach, you will embark on your journey. Your local guide will provide narration as you make your way through downtown Juneau. Have your cameras ready as you pass by the capital building before heading up to Gold Creek and Last Chance Basin.
Once you arrive at the creek, your gold panning adventure begins. Your guide will detail the rich history of gold panning that first began in 1880, when Joe Juneau and Rich Harris successfully found gold. Next, you will be given a proper introduction to gold panning, before trying your hand at getting lucky yourself. Take home any gold that you find. The area is so plentiful, that we guarantee you will strike gold!
After 45 minutes of panning for gold, make your way to the salmon bake for an all-you-can-eat Alaskan style buffet! At the salmon bake, you'll enjoy the signature alderwood-grilled wild salmon, Cheekako chicken, Chilkoot baked beans, Tongass wild-rice pilaf, hot chowder, a selection of sides, salads and homemade blueberry cake for desert. As you enjoy your meal, take in the views of the majestic Alaskan rainforest and listen to the tunes of a local musician.
Duration: 3 hours (Includes round trip transportation from the cruise ship dock)
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship dock
- Use of rain ponchos if needed
- Gold panning lessons
- Gold Claim Certificate for the gold you find
- All-you-can-eat buffet
- Signature alderwood-grilled wild salmon, Cheekako chicken, Chilkoot baked beans, Tongass wild rice pilaf, fresh clam chowder, and a selection of side dishes and salads. Don't forget to save room for the homemade blueberry cake!
- Guests should wear warm layered clothing and plan to bring additional raingear to ensure maximum comfort
- All children age 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult
- Guests age 13-17 must present a signed parental consent form in the absence of parent or guardian
Duration: 3 hours. Tour time below are approximate:
- 45 minutes roundtrip scenic driving tour with narration
- 45 minutes for gold panning instruction & exploration
- 20 minute transfer from gold mining to Salmon Bake
- 60-70 minutes at the Salmon Bake
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
- This tour is not limited mobility accessible, as there is rocky and uneven terrain.
Will my tour be cancelled if it rains?
This tour will operate as scheduled in rain or sunshine.
Is there any age restrictions for this tour?
We welcome all ages on this tour, with a couple of requirements in reagrds to minors. Any children age 12 or under must be accompanied by an adult. Those minors age 13-17 must have a signed waiver from parent or guardian to be permitted on the tour without them.
Do I keep to keep the gold I find?
Yes, you will be able to keep any gold you find during the panning session. Guests are given a small container as a keepsake.