Don't miss the chance to be one of the lucky adventurers to kayak at Mendenhall Lake to experience the majestic Mendenhall Glacier up close under a very limited U.S. Forest Service permit.
Once you arrive at Mendenhall Lake, your experienced and friendly guide will help you with life jackets and rain gear before teaching you some kayaking techniques. When you are all geared up, you will board the two-person kayaks with either your traveling companion or a new friend, and set off on your breathtaking Alaskan adventure.
Paddle across Mendenhall Lake in your stable kayak, navigating the iceberg studded pristine water that is truly one of the jewels of the Tongass National Forest. Your knowledgeable guide will explain the amazing nature surrounding you, pointing out native wildlife and fascinating you with the history and ecology of the spectacular Mendenhall Glacier. Venture within a safe distance of the massive, awe-inspiring face of the glacier and skirt the base of the beautiful and powerful Nugget Falls. After capturing the beauty of nature and this extraordinary glacier with your eyes and camera, you will paddle back across the lake and refuel with a snack of Alaskan-style fare and reminisce about the experience that is sure to be a highlight of your Alaska vacation.
Are you new to kayaking? You don't have to worry at all! Your experienced guide will group you into like abilities so that you can travel at a comfortable pace while ensuring that your adventure is safe and enjoyable.
Duration: 3.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Raingear and life jackets
- A snack consisting of reindeer sausage, cheese, crackers, salmon spread, and water
- Complimentary souvenir button
- T-shirts and hats are available for purchase at the conclusion of the tour
- The minimum weight is 40lbs to fit into the required lifejacket. The maximum weight is approximately 275lbs but is dependent on waist size to be comfortable in the kayak cockpit.
- Moderate to good physical activity is required. This tour is not recommended for guests with back problems or limited upper body strength. In addition to paddling, guests need to be able to climb in and out of the kayak with limited assistance.
Duration: 3.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes - narrated transfer to Mendenhall Lake
- 15 minutes - outfitting, risk acknowledgment, split into groups of ability levels, equipment orientation and restroom break
- 1 hour and 45 minutes - Guided paddle excursion with interpretation of flora, fauna and natural history
- 30 minutes - turn in gear, enjoy snack and receive a souvenir
- 30 minutes - transfer back to ship
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Are the kayaks single or double?
The kayaks are all double kayaks, no single kayaks are available.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
No experience is necessary to participate on this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Yes, all bags and other belongings you don’t want in the kayak will be locked up in a vehicle onshore.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Yes, a snack consisting of reindeer sausage, cheese, crackers, salmon spread and water is provided.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Minimum weight is 40lbs and maximum weight is 275lbs. Moderate to good physical activity is required.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Weather depending, you are encouraged to wear gloves, light layers and an extra pair of socks in case yours get wet in the boots.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2022 - Shirissa W.
Breathtaking!! A once in a lifetime experience.
Sep 2022 - JENNIFER D.
Seeing the glacier up close, especially in a canoe, was breathtaking. Kelby was a fantastic guide, he made us feel safe and confident in an exciting trip across a beautiful lake. He kept us entertained with his jokes and was a wealth of knowledge.
Jul 2022 - Cori M.
My wife and I loved this trip. The winds were a bit stiff, but it was an amazing experience. Our guide was simply incredible. She was fun and patient with others in the group who were more novice at Kayaking. I recommend this excursion and tour company in a heartbeat!