Pan for real gold and enjoy the thrill that sparked the Gold Rush!
Meet your guide just a few steps from the pier, at the main cruise ship terminal. After everyone is comfortably settled in the van, you will embark on your journey. Your local prospector/guide will provide narration as you make your way through downtown Juneau. Have your cameras ready as you pass by the capitol building before heading up to Gold Creek and Last Chance Basin.
Once you arrive at the creek, your gold panning adventure begins. Your guide will detail the rich history of gold panning that first began in 1880 when Joe Juneau and Rich Harris successfully found gold. Next, you will be given a proper introduction to gold panning, before trying your hand at getting lucky yourself. Take home any gold that you find. The area is so plentiful, that we guarantee you will strike gold!
After the "gold fever" experience, take a break to look around the remnants of the original buildings of the Alaska-Juneau Mining Company. Take home a souvenir Orelove Brothers Gold Claim Certificate, all the gold you find, and an appreciation of what it was like to seek your fortune in the wilds of Alaska more than a century ago.
Duration: 1.5 hours (Includes round trip transportation from the cruise ship dock)
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship dock
- Use of rain ponchos if needed
- Gold panning lessons
- Take home the gold you pan
- Gold Claim Certificate for the gold you find
- Guests should wear warm layered clothing and plan to bring additional raingear to ensure maximum comfort
- All children age 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult
- Minors age 13-17 must present a signed parental consent form in the absence of a parent or guardian
Duration: 1.5 hours. Tour time below are approximate:
- 45 minutes - roundtrip scenic driving tour with narration
- 45 minutes - gold panning instruction & exploration
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
- This tour is not limited mobility accessible, as there is rocky and uneven terrain.
How many passengers does the tour van hold?
The maximum capacity of the tour van is 24 guests. If you have more than 24 passengers in your party, multiple buses will provide transportation for your group.
Do I keep to keep the gold I find?
Yes, you will be able to keep any gold you find during the panning session. Guests are given a small container as a keepsake.
Will my tour be cancelled if it rains?
This tour will operate as scheduled in rain or sunshine. Participants should be prepared for inclement weather and dress in warm layers. Raingear is provided, however, guests are encouraged to bring their own to ensure maximum comfort while on tour.
Are there any age restrictions for this tour?
We welcome all ages on this tour, with a couple of requirements in reagrds to minors. Any children age 12 or under must be accompanied by an adult. Those minors age 13-17 must have a signed waiver from a parent or guardian to be permitted on the tour without them.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!