Enjoy the Mendenhall Glacier from a different view on this exhilarating float tour down Juneau's Mendenhall River! This trip has a lot to offer as you weave your way through the forest, look out for wildlife, and enjoy the beautiful Alaska scenery.
First, you will board a bus right in downtown Juneau, for an informative trip through the Mendenhall Valley. Your driver will entertain you all the way up to the shores of Mendenhall Lake where your raft awaits you. Here you will be outfitted in all the necessary gear to keep you safe and dry while meeting your guides who will row you down the river!
The lake is speckled with icebergs that have calved from the mighty Mendenhall Glacier, which stands at 150 feet high and spans 1.5 miles across. You will glide through the lake before starting downstream on your 6-mile route. At times, you will wander and wind in a lazy fashion, enjoying all of the scenery around you. Other times, you will experience the thrill of Class I and II whitewater rapids. Don't worry, this tour is safe for beginners and those of all ages! Don't miss the photographer waiting on shore to snap your pictures.
Before reaching the end of your journey, the river will level out and give you another chance to relax. Your guides will tell you all about the history of the Mendenhall Glacier, river, and city of Juneau. Keep your eye open for wildlife that lies just beyond the trees as you might even catch a glimpse of bald eagles, otters, seals, or even a black bear!
At your haul-out point, our friendly staff will make sure to get you safely back on dry land. Then it's time to bask in the shade of the 7,000 foot mountains that tower above you and grab a snack! Available for purchase are your action shot photographs and a cup of "Martha's Mendenhall Madness" to celebrate accomplishing your adventure and conquering the river.
Included: Souvenir pin, snacks, beverages, rain gear, and life jackets.
Please note: Minimum weight to participate is 50lbs.
This tour operation is under permit with the Tongass National Forest and is an equal opportunity provider.
Duration: 3.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Life jackets, rain jackets, rain pants, boots.
- Snack consisting of: Water and apple cider, crackers, smoked salmon spread, cheese, and veggie sticks.
- Beer, Martha’s Mendenhall Madness Punch and soda are available for purchase at the end of the trip.
- Souvenir “I Shot the Mendenhall” pin.
- Photos, t-shirts and hats available for purchase.
- Minimum weight is 50lbs to fit into the required lifejacket.
- Low to moderate physical activity is required. This tour is not recommended for guests with back problems.
Duration: 3.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 50 minutes roundtrip narrated transfer to Mendenhall Lake
- 20 minutes outfitting, orientation, risk acknowledgment, divide into groups, board raft
- 1.75 hours narrated float tour across Mendenhall Lake and down Mendenhall River
- 15 minutes guest take out point, turn in gear, enjoy snack
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
How many people fit in a raft?
Each raft can hold a maximum of 10 passengers.
Do I have to paddle?
It is up to you! We offer 2 raft options, an oar raft, where the guide does the work and a paddle-raft (when available), where you paddle along with the guide.
How big are the rapids?
The trip lives up to its name. It is truly a float trip with just enough rapids to make it exciting. If you want a wilder ride, be sure to request a paddle raft.
How close will I get to the glacier?
You will be on the Glacier Lake so you will have a view from approx. 1.5 miles away.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Bald eagles and their nests, herons, shorebirds and waterfowl are all common sights. Porpoises and even humpback whales occasionally surface for air, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Can I bring a backpack?
Yes, all bags and other belongings you don’t want in the kayak will be locked up in a vehicle onshore.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Yes, a snack consisting water and apple cider, crackers, smoked salmon spread, cheese, and veggie sticks is provided.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Minimum weight is 50lbs.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Weather depending, you are encouraged to wear gloves, light layers and an extra pair of socks in case yours get wet in the boots.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Want to learn more about our Mendenhall Glacier tours?
Check out our blog for more details on all of the Mendenhall Glacier tours we offer: Mendenhall glacier!