This adventure begins with a short drive from downtown Juneau to our private heliport on Douglas Island. Here, you will be outfitted with glacier overboots, wind/rain protective pants, and a flotation device. Our professional staff will provide a thorough safety briefing before helping you load into one of our A-Star helicopters.
Your pilot will choose one of many scenic routes to fly over the lush Tongass National Rainforest and dramatic mountain peaks surrounding flows of ice. Next, you'll land on one of the many local glaciers where photo opportunities abound. Your pilot will guide your 30-minute exploration of the surface where you will enjoy discovering the natural features of the glacier. After exploring the surface of the glacier, your pilot will return you on a short, scenic flight back to our heliport. Our comfortable vans will then return you to your pick-up point.
With viewing opportunities of the glacier's deep blue crevasses and the surrounding mountain peaks, this tour is sure to be a highlight of your Alaskan experience.
This tour is designed for most ages and physical abilities to enjoy with a light amount of walking over relatively flat to rolling terrain. The pilot will land on one of the local glaciers from the Juneau Icefield for approximately 30 minutes. Flight plans are determined by local weather conditions. Guests must be able to walk unassisted for the duration of the tour on moderately flat but uneven terrain. You will be outfitted with glacier overboots, wind/rain protective pants, and a flotation device. This excursion operates in September only.
Duration: 2.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Flight time: 30 minutes. Glacier time: 30 minutes.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Glacier traction overboots, wind/rain protective pants, and flotation device
- Dress in warm layers, hats and glove
- Bring your sunglasses and camera
- Minimum age: 2 years old
- Guests must be able to walk unassisted for 30 minutes on moderately flat but uneven terrain
- Due to safety protocol, selfie sticks, iPads, and drones are not allowed on this tour
- Signed liability waiver
Duration: 2.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15~20 minutes - transfer in a van from the meeting location (Mt. Robert's Tramway) to the heliport
- 20 minutes - gearing up, restroom and safety briefing
- 15 minutes - board helicopter for glacier flightseeing
- 30 minutes - guided walk at glacier landing
- 15 minutes - reboard helicopter and flight back to the heliport
- 10~15 minutes - arrive at heliport, de-gear and visit the giftshop
- 15~20 minutes - transfer in a van from the heliport to Mt. Robert's Tramway
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
How many passengers ride in the helicopter together?
There is a maximum of 6 passengers per helicopter. If your party is larger than 6 passengers, multiple helicopters will take your group and land together.
What is the seating arrangement in the helicopter?
There are two front seats and four rear seats; FAA safety guidelines require seating positions to be assigned based on weight and balance of all passengers for each helicopter.
What is the temperature on the glacier?
The average temperature is between 15-20°F cooler than on the ground.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The minimum age for this tour is 2 years old.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks cannot be accommodated on this tour. Secure storage is available at the helicopter base where you can pick up items upon your return. We provide a hip pack to carry small personal items during the tour. Due to safety protocol, we do not allow selfie sticks, iPads, or drones on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Water and hot beverages are available at the helicopter base, no food or drink is provided while on tour.
Are there child prices?
Adult and child prices are the same for this tour.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be able to walk unassisted for 30 minutes on moderately flat but uneven terrain.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing, hats, gloves and sunglasses are strongly recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!