This unique tour of the Misty Fjords National Monument combines sea and air for a complete Alaskan experience.
Your memorable journey starts when you board a luxury catamaran and speed off into the heart of the monument, one of nature's most majestic creations. Gaze in wonder as you glide past towering cliffs and astonishing 1000-foot waterfalls that plunge dramatically into the fjord's emerald waters.
The Misty Fjords are also known as the "Yosemite of the North" thanks to its similar geology. The glacial valleys are around 50 to 70 million years old and have been sculpted by glaciers that have driven deep U-shaped troughs throughout the monument. Along the way, your guide will point out an active eagle's nest, a mysterious Native pictograph and Punchbowl Cove, home to columnar basalt formations and the colorful Mossy Wall bird rookery. You will then discover New Eddystone Rock, a volcanic plug rising 237 feet from the water, illustrating the dramatic geologic forces that shaped this area six million years ago.
During this superb trip you will also be offered an assortment of food and beverages, while a naturalist provides in-depth commentary on the area's natural history. Keep ever vigilant as you may see bears, mountain goats, timber wolves, seals, sea lions and killer whales from the comfort of the cabin, or with the mist on your face on the outside deck.
Once you have arrived at the far reaches of a secluded cove, you will then transfer to an authentic Alaska floatplane. Only from the air can you truly appreciate the magnitude of this 2.3 million-acre national treasure, so prepare to delight in the sensation of soaring for 25 wonderful minutes over pristine wilderness, enjoying unspoiled forest and lakes. Returning to Ketchikan, your unique aerial view will allow you to enjoy the stunning panoramic views of the city and your ship, before a water landing.
NOTES: The tour may be also be offered in reverse depending on the weather. You can fly out to Misty Fjords, then take a boat back to Ketchikan.
Duration: 3.75 hours
- Noise canceling digital headset to listen to the pilot's narration
- Light snacks including muffins, trail mix, bottled water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate.
- Guests must be able to walk on uneven and potentially slippery surfaces when transfering from boat to floatplane.
- Passenger names and weights are required by the FAA for passenger safety and comfort, as well as weight and balance calculations for flight manifesting
Duration: 3.75 hours. Tour times below are approximate (Tour can operate in reverse order):
- 5 minutes transfer to boat
- 2.5 hours scenic cruising to Misty Fjords
- 10 minutes boarding aircraft
- 25-30 minutes flight from Misty Fjords to Ketchikan
- 15 minutes unboarding and gift shop shopping
- 15 minutes transfer from floatplane base to ship
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to get in and out of the planes with little assistance. Guests must be able to take 5 steps into and out of the boat. Guests who have a wheelchair will not be able to take the wheelchair on the plane or boat with them. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
How many passengers ride in the floatplane together?
There is a maximum of either 6 or 9 passengers per floatplane. If there are more than 9 passengers, multiple planes will fly at the same time for the tour to accommodate the additional guests.
What is the temperature in the floatplane?
The temperature during flight is roughly similar to the ground temperature, and each plane is equiped with heaters if necessary.
Will I get a window seat on the plane?
Yes, all seats on the floatplane have a window view.
Are there restrooms on the boat?
Yes, the boat is equipped with restrooms.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Small bags may be brought along but must be stored in the rear cargo area of the floatplane.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Light snacks including muffins, trail mix, bottled water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate are included.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be able to walk on uneven and potentially slippery surfaces when transfering from boat to floatplane.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing and water resistant jackets are recommended.
Do you offer tours for large groups?
Definitely, arrangements of tours for groups or large families are possible. Please contact us with your group requirements.
What if my tour is cancelled due to bad weather?
All tours that cancel because of weather will be fully refunded with no fees or penalties.
Want to learn more about our flightseeing tours?
Check out our blog for more details on all of the flightseeing tours we offer: Misty fjords national monument!
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!