As we begin this unique Alaska adventure, weÃll drive north from Anchorage along the Knik Arm passing through the town of Palmer, a community with farmland now famous for growing record-breaking produce like a 2,051-pound pumpkin! As the tour ascends the Talkeetna Mountains, guests will enter the alpine area of Independence Mine State Historical Park in the breathtaking Hatcher Pass!
Following this 45-minute tour, enjoy a panning demonstration and time at the creek where 3 or 4 flakes of gold can often be found in each pan! Following our time at the creek, enjoy a guided hike along the Mill Loop Trail.
The Mill Loop trail is an easy 1-mile trail with 177ft of elevation gain. Already at 3500ft in elevation in the Talkeetna Mountains, the views are incredible! This short trail above Independence Mine in Hatcher Pass is family friendly and will provide an introduction to the flora and fauna of the tundra. Common wildlife sightings include arctic ground squirrels and marmots Ã if you donÃt see them you will hear them whistle at you!
This half-day afternoon excursion from Anchorage includes a local guide, our signature tour at Independence Mine State Historical Park, a gold panning demo & time at the creek with a pan (rental included!) as well as an interpretive hike along the Mill Loop Trail. This tour will return back to Anchorage between 6:30pm Ã 7:00pm.
Duration: 5.25-5.75 hours
- Admission for Independence Mine State Historical Park Tour
- Guided interpretive walk along the Mill Loop Trail
- Time to visit the Gift Shop
- Gold Panning Demo & time at the creek
- Complimentary snack and water
- Hotel pick-up on request (limited availability)
Duration: 5.25 ~ 5.75 hours
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- This tour meets at the tour operator's office in downtown Anchorage. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Complimentary snacks and bottled water are provided on this excursion.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2018 - Gail P.
Our Tour Guide was excellent - Rebecca - however the weather was very rainy and made the Musk Ox Farm very wet & muddy. Then by the time we got to the Mining Town - the gate was closed for the day. So we didn't get to see that part of the tour.