**THIS TOUR IS NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2022 SEASON**
Drive your own dog team on real snow in the middle of the summer on this exciting Anchorage dog sledding tour!
Start this adventure with a spectacular helicopter ride over glaciers and icebergs. We often see moose, black bears, Dall sheep, and mountain goats. Next, land on a snowfield high on the Troublesome glacier and enjoy an hour with Iditarod sled dogs and their mushers. Take the dog team for an exhilarating dogsled tour through real snow. You can even stand on the runners and mush your own dog team if you like. Includes meet and greet with the dogs.
The length of this tour makes it perfect for the whole family and we often see three-generation having fun together. After your dogsled tour meets the canine athletes that pulled your sled, listen to stories about running sled dog races of over 1,000 miles long, meet the puppies, and of course, take pictures with your favorite dogs.
We provide overboots so your shoes stay dry, and we have some extra jackets and warm gear you can borrow if needed.
Please note: This tour option does not include transportation. Guests are required to make their own way to the Knik River Lodge located about an hour's drive from Anchorage. If you are interested in having roundtrip transportation, please find the "With Transportation" option for this tour on the Anchorage Tours page.
Duration: 1.5 hours (Flight time: 30 minutes. Dogsled ride: 30 minutes.)
- Traction overboots
- Waterproof clothing if needed
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Signed liability waiver (You can sign this on-site during the safety briefing)
- Appropriate clothing per weather
- Passenger names and weights are required by the FAA for passenger safety and comfort, as well as weight and balance calculations for flight manifesting. Any passenger whose weight is 250 pounds (113 kilograms) or more fully clothed at the time of departure will have a surcharge fee added to the ticket price at the time of booking.
Duration: 1.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes - round trip helicopter flightseeing
- 30 minutes - interaction with Mushers and Dogsled dogs
- 30 minutes - glacier dogsledding
- This tour meets at the Knik River Lodge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. We accommodate all mobility challenged scenarios. We have staff that will assist in getting in and out of the helicopter as well as in and out of the dogsled. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
What glacier is this tour on?
This tour goes to the Troublesome Glacier.
Can I pet and play with the sled dogs?
Yes, the dogs love human interaction and the musher's will let you get close and snuggly with their team.
What is the seating arrangement in the helicopter?
The pilot balances the helicopter based on the weight and number of passengers. We cannot make any promises for specific seat because safety cannot be compromised. If you have a preference ask the pilot and when it is safe the pilot will try to accommodate you.
What is the temperature on the glacier?
The average temperature is between 15-20°F cooler than on the ground.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Typically we see moose, dall sheep, mountain goats and sometimes bears depending on the time of year. However, this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We reccomend wearing layers, a weatherproof outer coat, sturdy shoes (we will provide overboots to keep your shoes dry) and sunglasses as it gets blindingly bright on the snow covered glacier.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2021 - Nicole B.
amazing experience and great personel
Sep 2021 - Phil F.
Absolutely beautiful, scenic, and amazing excursion adventure. The staff was extremely polite, funny, informative, and hospitable.
May 2021 - Jackie B.
This excursion ranks in the top 5 of amazing experiences in my lifetime (and I am 66). From my Facebook post for the day: Day 4/5 Alaska Adventure: ... But then there was Day 5...no words for just how amazing that experience was: helicopter ride to Knik Glacier, dog sledding with 6 adorable huskies and a stop to explore a crystal blue glacial pond. #dogsleddinginalaska #welovehuskies . Don't miss this experience...really.
Jul 2019 - Anu K.
It was beautiful. Rick our dog sledging guide, and helipcopter pilot did an awesome job..Thank You for the awesome experience
Jun 2019 - Sara J.
We spent 14 days in Alaska. This was one of our favorite days. Our Pilot was experienced and knowledgeable, the owner of the dogs was amazing as well. These dogs are well cared for and ready to see you and have fun!!! We will be doing this trip again!