The Iceberg Kayak tour at Spencer Glacier in the morning is the most serene and consistently magnificent time of day for a paddle. You will kayak around icebergs and even get up close to the Spencer Glacier terminus face. Hike onto the glacier moraine and get up close to the blue wall.
This is the perfect paddle for both beginners and expert paddlers. There is no tidal influence at Spencer Lake. The total iceberg kayak paddle distance is approximately 4 miles.
In addition to the kayak and glacier hike, enjoy transportation to and from the kayak launch point on the world-famous Alaska Railroad. This tour includes access onboard the Alaska Railroad for both the Coastal Classic and the Glacier Discovery Train. These routes will take you through the most scenic Grandview and Tunnels sections of the railroad.
Please note: Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter the trip. In the case that the weather does not permit the operation of canoes or kayaks, there are alternative options including hiking, rafting, or a shortened kayak tour.
Please let us know your experience level upon checkout so we can tailor your Alaskan glacier kayak tour to your party's ability and ambition.
Duration: 12 hours (Roundtrip from Anchorage Train Depot)
- Lunch includes a sandwich, fruit, dessert, and bottled water. Veggie or other dietary requests are available upon request.
- Splash tops, spray skirts, and life vests
- Minimum of 2 participants required to book
- Minimum age: 6 years (8 years old and older for kayaks, under 8 can take rafts)
- Weight limit: 240 pounds
- Maximum height: 6'3"
- Signed liability waiver
- Guests with large foot sizes and guests who don't like to sit for up to 1 hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks.
- The paddle across the lake is approximately 2 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 minutes (in perfect weather conditions) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
Duration: 12 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 6:45am - Coastal Classic train departs from Anchorage
- 9am - Arrival at the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
- 9:30am-12:30pm - Iceberg kayak on Spencer Glacier Lake; 4 mile kayak paddle. Followed by a short hike at Spencer Glacier Morraine.
- 1pm-1:30pm - Lunch
- 2pm-5pm - Scenic train ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon
- 5:15pm - Arrive in Portage and board motorcoach back to Anchorage
- 6:45pm - Arrive in Anchorage by Motorcoach Bus
- This tour meets at the Anchorage Downtown Historic Railroad Depot at 6 A.M. Guests are required to provide their own transportation to the Railroad Depot. Fully detailed instructions will be included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not ADA Accessible.
Will I see any wildlife on this tour?
Moose, black bears, snow shoe hares, bald eagles and beluga whales are also seen on this tour however is not a designated wildlife tour and specific wildlife cannot be guarenteed. You will be with experienced guides who will have bear spray and are familiar with the wild life area.
Are food and drink included?
Lunch is provided.
Are there restrooms on this tour?
There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river, backcountry options only.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Aug 2021 - Lisa G.
Guides were very knowledgeable and professional. The glacier and lake were stunning. Food was good. Loved their sustainability practices with food packaging.
Jun 2021 - Kauser B.
Amazing experience! First a beautiful scenic train ride and then kayaking among massive glaciers was breathtaking! After a 2 mile kayak, we stopped, got hot chocolate and snacks. Then we did a short but a fun hike and kayaked back to start. We were given a really nice lunch. Another beautiful train ride with a stop at Grandview for exploring and we even had some snow fun in June and ride back to get the coach to Anchorage. The guides were great and made the experience that much better. We had so much fun and go to take in all the Alaskan beauty!