Get the best of Ketchikan with our Taste of the Wild tour! Take a coastal drive and look at the sights Ketchikan has to offer. Once you're back in town, you'll get to see the highlights of the city on your way to First City Salmon for, you guessed it, fresh and local Wild Alaskan Salmon.
Your journey begins with a scenic 10-mile coastal drive south passing ocean beauty, a salmon cannery, our original Coast Guard Base, built-in 1954, the Native Village of Saxman (population of approximately 400), and Buggee's Beach before arriving at beautiful Herring Cove. Herring Bay is small inlet cove bustling with the sights and sounds of nature's wildlife which often includes bears, eagles, herons, and seals. Keep your eyes peeled along the way for Humpback and Killer Whales. Herring Cove is the only place you can travel by road and find the largest concentration of Black Bears and other wildlife on our island (June thru September) View spawning species of salmon up close usually just feet away. This tour includes Rainbow Falls where you can again get out and stretch your legs and take pictures. This tour is considered easy terrain with restrooms along the way.
Once back in town experience Ketchikan's Historic City Highlights including the infamous Creek Street, City Park, Fish Ladder and other historic sites before being dropped off at the First City Salmon for the next portion of your excursion, where you will enjoy the best locally caught Wild Alaskan Salmon in Ketchikan. Once in your seat, you will feast on tasty Smoked Salmon and Salmon dip while your live presentation and show begins. Then you will be served a hot plate with a Salmon fillet topped with our signature white wine butter sauce along with a freshly baked sourdough bread bowl filled with Ketchikan's Award Winning Smoked Salmon Chowder.
Duration: 2.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- Fully narrated tour with a public address system onboard
- Park entry fees are included
- Umbrellas are available to use as needed for tour duration
- Dress in warm layers, wear comfortable shoes
Duration: 2.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- Departure from Cruise Ship Dock
- Herring Cove
- First City Salmon
- Transportation back to Dock
- This tour meets inside the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau, booth #12, located in front of berth 2 on the dock
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour. This tour does not have a wheelchair lift but wheelchairs and walkers are welcome.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!