Beginning with a lovely coast side drive, you will make your way to the private 40 acre Alaskan Rainforest Sanctuary in Herring Cove. You will be greeted by your naturalist guide and taken through the half mile walk through the spruce, hemlock, and cedar trees. During spawning season it is not uncommon to see bears, seals, salmon, bald eagles, and many other raptors!
Your walk will lead you to the 1,500 foot audatorium and the local raptor center. A half hour fully narrated presentation will take place where you will be able to see the local raptors up close and personal! After the show, you will be able to walk through the custom raptor courtyard and speek to the handler about anything you'd like.
Before returning to town you will be able to explore the historic Herring Bay Lumber Compnay Saw Mill, the near by totem park with its star 40-foot totem, and watch a real day blacksmith work on a forge.
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Rain ponchos if needed
- Spotting scopes at the sawmill estuary
- Admission to the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary
- 1/2 mile walk on uneven terrain through forest. Not recommended for guests with mobility issues.
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20 minutes - narrated scenic tour to Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary
- 30 minutes- guided walk through the rainforest
- 30 minutes- raptor presentation at the Ketchikan Alaskan Raptor Center
- 30 minutes- exploration of the Lumber Mill, Totem Park, and Blacksmith
- 20 minutes- travel back to town
- This tour meets at the Visitors Bureau in downtown Ketchikan. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Guests should have a traveling companion to assist with pushing the wheelchair during the tour. If this is not an option, let us know to make other arrangements. Please leave a comment during checkout to confirm adequate space in transportation if a wheelchair will be brought on tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Bears are often seen during the late summer salmon spawning season, however cannot be guaranteed!
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed on the tour.
Are food and drinks included?
No, food and drinks are not included on this tour.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking medium distances on uneven terrain.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing and waterproof outerwear are recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!