There is a lot to see when visiting Juneau and kayaking at Auke Bay is one of the best ways to experience the outskirts of the city. Your Juneau Auke Bay Sea Kayaking tour meets at the Alaska Boat & Kayak Rental Shop. All participants must check in at the shop located 11 miles north of downtown Juneau.
Your professional and knowledgeable guides will teach you how to paddle and safety skills. Pick the best Kayak for your skill level and launch your kayak directly from the shop for a 1.5-2 hour kayaking adventure.
As your small group and experienced guide kayak out of the harbor past an array of working and recreational boats, keep your eyes open for seals, salmon, eagles, and other marine wildlife. Our coastal route through Auke Bay is a perfect balance of wilderness and local maritime culture. Please note: Minimum of 2 passengers required to book. Maximum of 8 passengers per departure. Children must be able to swim and confidently paddle a double kayak with an adult.
Duration: 3 hours (Meet at the Alaska Boat & Kayak Rental Shop. Kayak time: 1.5-2 hours.)
- Professional guides
- Gear/equipment: Double kayaks, paddling gear, rain jacket, rain pants, life vest, spray skirt, safety gear
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Guests must know how to swim
- Maximum tandem kayak weight: 600lbs
- Not recommended for guests with limited mobility, heart, and respiratory issues
- Guests must be able to paddle for up to 2 hours
- Pregnant guests are not permitted
- Signed liability waiver
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes - meet at Alaska Boat & Kayak Rental Shop for gear fitting, safety briefing, and kayak instruction
- 2 hours - launch double kayaks and kayaking
- 30 minutes - return to shop, warm up by fire and de-gear
- This tour meets at the Kayak Shop in Auke Bay/Statter Harbor, located at 11521 Glacier Highway. Pick up is not available. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Do you provide transportation?
No, please meet us at the Kayak Shop in Auke Bay/Statter Harbor, located at 11521 Glacier Highway.
Are whale and wildlife sightings guaranteed?
It is possible to see humpback whales, Dahl’s and harbor porpoises, Steller sea lions, harbor seals, Sitka black-tailed deer, bald eagles, marbled murrelets, great blue herons, and many other wildlife and birds on our Auke Bay Sea Kayak adventure. However, nothing is guaranteed, this is wild Alaska!
What if it is raining? Will the tour still run?
Barring unsafe conditions, we operate rain or shine. We provide rain jacket and pants.
What is the temperature on the water?
The temperature on the water can be 15-20°F cooler than on the ground due to the wind chill factor.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The minimum age is 8 years old.
Are food and drink included?
No, food is not included on this tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!