This is a perfect tour for guests who would like to visit all three of Sitka's prime wildlife viewing venues! This 3.5-hour tour will take you to the Alaska Raptor Center, the Fortress of the Bear, and the Sitka Sound Science Center. Along the way to each stop, your driver-guide will narrate highlights and points of interest of Sitka's past and present day stories.
The Raptor Center operates with bird care professionals assisted by volunteers to rescue birds, provide them with rehabilitative care and hopefully release them back into the wild. After your introduction to the center, a presentation with one of the center's educational birds will take place. Time will be available to view the flight center, clinic window, outside deck habitat areas, and gift shop.
The next stop is visiting the Fortress of the Bear, which allows you to get within 25 feet of Alaska brown bears in a naturalized setting. You will enjoy observing three populations of bears from a covered viewing platform and interact with an experienced naturalist.
Finally, you will visit the Sitka Sound Science Center. The Sitka Sound Science Center is a comprehensive research and educational facility which houses multiple aquarium exhibits, including a life touch tank! Experience the local sea life first hand, learn about the aquatic life in waters surrounding Sitka and be sure to check out the gift shop for the perfect souvenir.
Your tour will conclude in downtown Sitka where you'll have time to explore the shops and sights on your own.
*This tour may run in reverse order*
Duration: 3.5 hours (Roundtrip from Harrigan Centennial Hall.)
- Roundtrip transportation from Harrigan Centennial Hall
- Entrance fees into all venues
- Narrated commentary from tour driver-guide throughout the tour
Duration: 3.5 hours
- 10 minutes - transfer to Raptor Center
- 45 minutes - at Raptor Center
- 30 minutes - transfer to Fortress of the Bear
- 40 minutes - at Fortress of the Bear
- 30 minutes - transfer to Sitka Sound Science Center
- 45 minutes - at Sitka Sound Science Center
- 10 minutes - transfer back to Harrigan Centennial Hall
- This tour meets at the canoe statue outside of the Harrigan Centennial Hall. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps on their own into and out of the bus. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. Please inform us if the guest is confined to a wheelchair and ADA lift vehicle is required. Motorized scooters are not permitted and it is recommended guests bring their own or obtain a collapsible wheelchair from the ship. Tour staff is unable to push guests in wheelchairs. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on the tour.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drinks are included.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Aug 2021 - Julie Ann H.
This was the best investment in time and money when going to Sitka. I would definitely recommend this to anyone going.