Join a three-hour class to practice and appreciate the art of metal-making in Sitka, Alaska. During this quick-paced course, learn how to easily and safely use a 2" die grinder to smooth and texture your creation. You'll be provided with the necessary safety equipment and given close instruction by your experienced teacher. Sparks will fly during this class as you turn a dull, gray piece of steel into a shiny work of art.
With close instruction and guidance, begin grinding and texturing your metal Salmon or Halibut.
Use a teardrop mallet to bring your fish to life with 3D shape. Flapping tails, exhaling gills, and a thick belly will make your Alaskan Salmon or Halibut worthy to hang from any wall.
After you complete the shaping we will turn the heat up with a propane torch to apply deep hues of bronze, purple and blue to your fish to create a truly one-of-a-kind Alaskan keepsake. Your piece of metal art will be as breathtaking as the views of Sitka Sound.
For a small additional price, your work of art can be shipped to your home or you may take the artwork with you at the end of class.
Minimum of 2 passengers is required to book. Minimum age of 12 and all guests age 12-15 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Please be advised that this class uses power tools, torches and other light industrial equipment. With over a decade of experience, your instructor has safely guided student to safely use the variety of tools. Safety protocols must be followed.
For groups of 8 or more, please contact [email protected] for pricing and availability
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from downtown Sitka.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Safety Glasses
- Hearing protection - over ear & foam plugs available
- Dust masks
- Welding Gloves
- Shipping of your finished piece is available at a small additional cost
- Signed liability waiver
- Close-toed shoes are required
- Must be able to climb a flight of stairs to the workspace.
- Minimum age to participate: 12 years old (all guests age 12-15 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian)
Duration: 3 hours (tour times are approximate)
- Upon arrival, you'll begin a quick paced 3 hour class and walk out with a beautiful Alaskan keepsake.
- This tour meets at the workshop space. Cruise ship guests will take the free Ride Sitka private shuttle to and from the dock. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Is there a minimum age requirement?
Guests must be 12 years of age or older. All guests ages 12-15 must be accompanied by a parent and/or guardian.
How many participants will be in the class?
The maximum capacity for this tour is 8 guests. For larger groups, please contact [email protected] for rates and availability.
What choices of metal work will we get to choose from?
At checkout, you can choose the King Salmon, Coho Salmon, Sockeye Salmon or Halibut to create.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
What should I wear for this class?
Closed-toe shoes are required. Safety glasses, hearing protection, dust masks and welding gloves are provided.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!