**THIS TOUR IS NO LONGER TAKING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASON**
Take a stroll and learn about the fascinating history of Sitka on a scenic walking tour of the city and a nature walk where you will see all of the natural beauty that surrounds the Sitka National Historical Park.
To begin, you will depart for a scenic motorcoach tour that will head to the Alaska Raptor Center. The adventure will continue as you encounter the swamp-like muskeg soil along with the alpine meadow where most of Alaska's bird, plant and wild berries thrive. You'll continue your exploration at the open bird habitat and Eagle flight center. The Raptor's Center's open bird habitat and Eagle Flight Center is home to bald eagles, owls, hawks, and many other birds of prey. During your visit, the staff will explain the Raptor Center's mission and answer questions.
Next on your journey will be the guided walk in Sitka National Historical Park. Here the walking trails are lined with authentic totem poles that will guide you through the lush Tongass National Forest. Cross the bridge at Indian River where the salmon spawn around late summer. Take a moment to learn about the rainforests ecosystem, local plant, and animal life. From there the walk continues along the harbor's shoreline to visit St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. There are plenty of Victorian-style homes and ornate churches you will see before you pass Sheldon Jackson College. This was James Michener's home during the wiring of his book "Alaska". Conclude the tour with a transfer back to the pier, or stay and explore a while longer in Sitka by staying downtown and taking a free shuttle back to the pier later.
Included: Entrance and activity fees.
Duration: 3.25 hours (Roundtrip from Harrigan Centennial Hall.)
- Entrance to the Raptor Center
- Guided nature walk through Sitka National Park
Duration: 3 hours
- 10 minutes - transportation to Raptor Center
- 35 minutes - at the Raptor Center
- 15 minutes - walk to National Historic Park
- 2 hour - guided nature walkthrough park into downtown Sitka, where the tour ends
- This tour meets at Harrigan Centennial Hall. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. While this tour is limited mobility accessible, it is not recommended for guests who cannot walk up to 1.5 miles. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for motorized equipment will be required on tour. If the operator is unaware beforehand of necessary accommodations, they may not be able to accommodate guests day-of.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drinks are included.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2019 - Patricia H.
Wonderful tour and excellent guide only company to book your shore tours with much better price than the boat 5+
May 2019 - Merete L.
Although we enjoyed the raptor center, myself and travel buddies were't too happy with being rushed through it. We agreed we were getting the bums rush . Not sure if it was interfering with someone's lunch or what that was all about.
The walking tour was mostly in the park which was wonderful, the scenery spectacular. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the history and culture. There was not much our guide, Ryan, didn't know. Happy to answer questions no matter how dumb
May 2019 - Yvonne P.
While we were on a time crunch I think more time at the Raptor center would have been good.
The walk lasted well over an hour- almost 2 hours and was way too long for 5 Seniors.