This thrilling adventure begins by taking a 26-mile scenic drive along the National Scenic Byway before traveling through the the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve to reach our remote staging area. After a safety briefing and orientation, you'll be fitted with helmets and ready to take off!
Driving options are limited to certain sections of the route, whereas on the more technical parts of the trail, your guide will drive. We will use our 4 person machines outfitted with winches and aggressive tires to ascend the challenging terrain. There are several spots along the tour where we can swap drivers to give everyone some time at the wheel. The UTVs are automatic transmission and drive similarly to a car for ease of operation. These high performance UTVs are fun to drive and a great way to explore the Alaska wilderness.
Overall, we'll drive about 25 miles over varied terrain. As we drive along the Klehini river and mountain meadows you may spot swans, salmon, eagles, bears or moose along the way. The technical section of the route ascends through the Spruce forest over challenging and steep terrain. A series of mud holes make for exciting driving and other sections require a slow crawl to creep over large rocks. As we crest above treeline, the route eases up and the views expand to encompass the surrounding peaks and glaciers. We'll surely spot wildflowers and perhaps Ptarmigan or patches of snow on the upper alpine reaches of the route.
From our high point, we'll enjoy a picnic lunch while we bask in the surrounding mountain views. Short walks to snowfields or, if time permits, to a glacier, offer guests a one of a kind Alaskan experience. After lunch, we'll descend the mountain and make our way back to our private staging area before returning by bus back to Haines.
Please note: Guests wanting to drive an ATV must be at least 21 years old and bring a valid driver's license.
Duration: 7 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. )
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal
- Picnic style lunch includes sandwich, chips, fruit, water, coffee, hot chocolate and lemonade.
- Equipment: helmet and UTV (Utility Task Vehicle)
- Stable closed toed shoes
- Dress in layers or rain gear
- Minimum age: 12 years old (Drivers must be 21 years old or older with valid license)
- Minimum weight: 50lbs
- Maximum weight: 300lbs (or 52" waist size)
- Medical restrictions: Guests must be physically and mentally able to participate in the activity
- No pregnant mothers are allowed after 20 weeks
- Signed liability waiver (Parent/guardian signature required for minors)
Duration: 7 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes meet your guide and greet
- 45 minutes narrated tranfer to ATV staging area
- 15 minutes safety briefing orientation and helmet fitting
- 30 minutes drive from staging area to Flower Mountain road along the Klehini River
- 1 hour ATV adventure on Flower Mountain road to treeline, passing through mud holes, rock climbing sections, and old growth forest rough terrain.
- 30 minutes picnic style lunch
- 2 hours ATV back to staging area
- 1 hour transfer to dock
- This tour meets at the end of the pier. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Who are my guides?
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Haines. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certification.
Is there a bathroom?
Yes, restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour and at the ATV staging area. Once we head up the mountain there arent' any restrooms or facilities other than the great outdoors.
Does this tour cancel due to weather?
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activity for the day.
What type of ATVs/UTV will we be in?
We will be using 4 seater sport UTVs; either Kawasaki Teryx 4x or Arctic Cat Wildcat 4 on this excursion.
What is the terrain like?
Overal, we will travel over about 30 miles from dirt roads to logging roads. For the more moderate terrain along the valley and along the Klehini river, guests will have the opportunity to drive. There is a 5 mile stretch that ascends steeply above treeline. This section contains mud holes, steep terrain, large rocky sections akin to "Rock Crawling", and other trouble shooting sections. Once past treeline, the angle of the road deceases again as we pass through alpine meadows.
Will I be able to drive the ATV and how much?
The route consists of technically challenging terrain as well as more moderate terrain. There will be opportunity to drive the ATV for about half of the tour. For the more technical components of the route, your guide will do the driving. Guide will be in the vehicle with you during the tour.
Is there a charge for infants (0-18 months)?
No, infants are not allowed. The minimum age to participate in the tour is 12 years old.