Mt. Riley is the highest point on the Haines Peninsula. It is a strenuous day hike through mostly temperate rain forest. It has a gorgeous summit and several viewpoints throughout the hike.
Your adventure begins at the pier where you will meet your professional hiking guide. After a narrated drive through the historic Fort Seward, we'll continue on for about 15 minutes along the Haines Peninsula to the trailhead for Mt. Riley. Along the way, your guide will tell you about the history and geography of Haines. It is a beautiful drive with many scenic photo opportunities.
Once at the trailhead, the hike begins over rolling terrain through temperate rainforest. After about 1/4 mile, we start to gain elevation as we make our way up switchbacks through the forest. Throughout the hike, your knowledgeable naturalist guide will talk about the flora and fauna of the region. Depending on the exact route the total hiking distance is between 5-8 miles and the elevation gain is approximately 1,500ft to the summit, which is at 1,760ft.
Throughout the hike we'll enjoy some snacks and water on our way to the summit, which boasts a fantastic 360-degree view of the Lynn Fjord and beyond. We'll stop along the way for a picnic lunch, after which, we may elect to hike down the opposite side of the mountain towards the east side of the peninsula and descend towards Battery Point. After a stop at the view point of the beautiful beach of Kelgaya and Battery Point, the last mile leads us to the Battery Point trailhead where we'll get picked up and return to the pier.
Duration: 6 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Hiking: 5 hours.)
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal
- Picnic style lunch, water and snack
- Trekking poles
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Dress in comfortable layers for warmth, stable closed-toed shoes, and bring rain gear
- This is a physical activity and recommended for guests in able physical and mental states
Duration: 6 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes meet your guide and greet
- 20 minutes transfer to Mt. Riley trailhead
- 10 minutes safety briefing and orientation
- 2.5 hours hiking on the trail and lunch
- 2.5 hours hiking on the summit of Mt. Riley down to Lynn Fjord Shores
- 20 minutes transfer by van to the Port Chilkoot dock
- This tour meets at the end of the pier. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
How long is the trail?
It is about 5-8 miles.
What is the trail like?
You will be hiking over uneven, natural terrain. There are exposed roots, rocks and sometimes splippery and muddy sections. There are steep sections and you will gain about a 1,500 feet elevation during the hike.
Who are my guides?
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Haines. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certification.
Does this tour cancel due to weather?
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activity for the day.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!