Beginning in Skagway, guests will board the Fast Ferry for a scenic and narrated ride to Haines. Upon arrival, guests will be greeted by their professional kayak guide to embark on their ocean kayaking adventure.
A brief walk from the ferry pier will take guests over to the beach where the two-person kayaks await. The sea conditions and weather will determine which of the variety of ocean paddles guests will choose. A personal flotation device will be fitted to each guest, as well as spray skirts & ponchos if needed. After a brief safety and equipment introduction and orientation, guests will be led out paddling with their guide.
Guests will be out on the water for around 2 hours. Guests have spotted eagles, sea lions, seals, dall porpoises, humpback whales, and other marine wildlife during their paddle. The guide, an expert naturalist, will share their knowledge of the fjord, marine wildlife, and local geography. At some point, the group will make a stop along a remote beach in order for guests to stretch their legs and enjoy the stunning beauty of Southeast Alaska with their waterside picnic-style lunch.
In any instance where ocean conditions are not suitable, the group will head to a backup location on Chilkoot Lake, about a 30-minute van ride along the Chilkoot River. The backup location is not lacking in beauty with its surrounding mountains, alpine waterfalls, and salmon spawning beds.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal
- All safety equipment and gear (kayak, paddle, spray skirt, personal flotation device, rubber boots)
- Group size must be between 3 - 12 participants
- Dress in comfortable layers
- This is a physical activity and recommended for guests in able physical and mental states
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Maximum weight: 300 lbs
- Guests over 275lbs or 6'6" in height may not fit comfortably in kayaks
- The primary location for this tour is the ocean. If the weather prevents safe kayaking on the ocean, the backup location is Chilkoot Lake, a scenic freshwater lake
Duration: 6.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes - meet on the pier, complete waivers, guides answer any questions
- 15 minutes - transfer by van and then a short walk to the small boat harbor
- 50 minutes - Catamaran ferry ride to Haines with live presentation of local culture and natural history
- 15 minutes - short walk to the fast ferry dock where your 2-person kayaks will be waiting
- 15 minutes - kayak orientation, safety briefing and equipment fitting
- 2-3 hours - paddling time based on conditions and group reference
- 30 minutes - beachside picnic lunch
- 10 minutes - short walk back to the fast ferry
- 50 minutes - fast ferry ride back to Skagway and van transfer back to your ship
- This tour meets at the end of the pier where your cruise ship is docked. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus and they need to be able to walk up and down gangways that vary depending on the tide. Additionally, guests need to be able to get in and out of double kayak cockpits independently from a dock (good balance required) and paddle for approximately 2-3 hours on the lake. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. The ferry to and from Haines is NOT wheelchair accessible. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Who are my guides?
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained, and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Skagway. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certifications.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing, long pants, and weather-appropriate dress are recommended. Closed-toe shoes (sneakers, hiking, or rain boots) are required; sandals and other open-toe footwear are not permitted.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The minimum age to participate in this tour is 8 years old. Children younger and infants are not allowed.
Are food and drink included?
A picnic-style lunch is provided after the paddling portion and before the return journey.
What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
At the end of checkout, there will be a comments section provided to supply us and the operator with this information. Most dietary restrictions can be accommodated with alternative lunch options with advanced notice.
Is there a bathroom?
Restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour, on the ferry during travel to Haines, and on the dock once you arrive in Haines.
Does this tour cancel due to weather?
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activities for the day.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Jun 2022 - KIMBERLY O.
This was an incredible excursion! The scenery was so majestic and calming, even though the kayaking was challenging when the wind picked up. But what really made the tour exceptional was our guides, Olivia and Sydney. They were very knowledgeable and attentive. I was very much appreciative of their kindness. I highly recommend this tour!
Jul 2019 - Jennifer G.
Great attention to detail, safety and guest experience! I couldn't believe that they let me go out on a private, guided kayaking tour (I was the only one who signed up)!
Cody was a fantastic guide !
Jun 2019 - Blair E.
Really loved the serenity of this outing! Our guides were knowledgeable and fun.
May 2019 - Alan W.
Weather was amazing and the scenery beautiful. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly. I was expecting 2 person kayaks. They were actually 3 person kayaks and more difficult to maneuver.