**THIS TOUR IS NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2022 SEASON**
You will meet your guide in Skagway and then board the high-speed catamaran for a 45-minute ride to Haines through America's longest and deepest fjord. Once we reach Haines, we'll take a short tour of Fort Seward, and then head out for a 30-minute drive from downtown Haines which leads us up the Lutak Inlet to the Chilkoot River Valley. The Chilkoot corridor offers incredible wildlife viewing. Brown Bears, eagles, mountain goats, and spawning salmon are commons sights. Our guides are expert naturalists and enjoy sharing their love and knowledge of the Alaskan wilderness.
Once at the lake, we'll head out onto Chilkoot Lake in stable motor-assisted Voyageur Canoes. Our Canoes are built using similar dimensions as the canoes used by trappers and gold miners at the turn of the century. Powered by either paddle or motor, this tour offers guests the opportunity to paddle in the serenity of Chilkoot Lake, while also having the advantage of relaxing and taking photographs when it's time to take a break from paddling. We'll be out on the water for about 1.5 hours and explore the inlets, coves, salmon spawning streams, and numerous waterfalls that spill off of the mountains into the lake.
After enjoying the beautiful views on the lake, we'll return to Haines and serve a picnic-style lunch at a private ocean beach location at the end of the trip.
Please note: The minimum age for this tour is 8 years old. The maximum weight limit is 300lbs. This is a physically active tour and we recommend guests to be in good physical and mental health.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Life vests, rubber boots, ponchos and paddles
- Picnic style lunch included
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Minimum weight: None
- Maximum Weight: 300 lbs
- This is a physical activity and recommended for guests in able physical and mental states
- Liability Waiver Required
Duration: 6 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 1.25 hours - Meet your representative and board the ferry for the 50-minute narrated ride to Haines
- 1 hour - Upon Arrival in Haines, you'll meet your guide and driver, drive through Fort Seward continue to Chilkoot Lake
- 15 minutes - Arrive at Chilkoot Lake and get outfitted with your PFD, rubber boots and canoe paddle
- 1.5 hours - Explore Chilkoot Lake by voyageur canoe
- 15 minutes - Once back at the shore, we'll trade your rubber boots for your shoes and you'll have a chance to take in the beautiful scenery
- 40 minutes - Transportation back to the ocean
- 30 minutes - Enjoy a picture style lunch with great views of the Lynn Fjord in a private setting
- 50 minutes - Scenic ferry ride back to Skagway
- Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Who are my guides?
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Haines. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certification.
Is there a bathroom?
Yes, restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour and a non-flushing outhouse style restroom is available on-site.
How much will I paddle?
Everyone in the canoe will be provided with a paddle. Paddling is optional and each boat is equipped with a quiet 4-stroke outboard motor so if the wind picks up or you need a rest, you can sit back and let your guide and motor do the work.
What kind of wildlife will I see?
Though wildlife can never be guaranteed, bald eagles, moose, all five types of Pacific salmon, brown and black bears frequent the area. Wildlife sightings depend on the time of the year and area within Haines where the excursion takes place. Your guides will choose the best locations to help you maximize your wildlife viewing opportunity.
Does this tour cancel due to the weather?
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activity for the day.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!