Your tour begins with a high-speed catamaran ride along the steep-walled fjords that connect Skagway to Haines. Over a dozen unnamed waterfalls drop hundreds of feet from both sides of the boat. Bald eagles and harbor seals are often seen on this journey.
Upon arrival in Haines, meet your expert naturalist guide for a drive to Chilkoot Lake State Park. This park has it all: a turquoise lake surrounded by snowy mountain peaks, a salmon-filled river flowing into the sea, and important Tlingit cultural sights. Bald eagles, harbor seals, and brown bears are often seen here.
May, June, and July feature wildflowers and eagles. Beginning in August, pink salmon - the smallest and most abundant of the Pacific salmon varieties - begin their run up the Chilkoot River to spawn. This is the best opportunity to see brown bear as they are often witnessed feeding along the banks of the river. When bears are present, every effort will be made to give you safe bear viewing.
As you drive through the park, your guide knows the best places to stop for scenery and the possibility of wildlife spotting. Your guide is equipped with a powerful spotting scope to bring the wildlife in close, and explain how the animals fit into the Chilkoot's complex ecosystem.
Your guide will select a scenic spot to enjoy a picnic lunch on your way back to Haines. Make sure you bring your camera to take advantage of the numerous photo opportunities.
Inclusions: Roundtrip transportation to Haines. Lunch.
Please note: Minimum of 2 passengers required to book. Child prices for ages under 12.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Fast Ferry fare to and from Haines on public service Catamaran Ferry.
- A picnic style lunch: turkey sandwich on fresh baked bread, fruit, freshly baked cookie, and bottled water. Vegetarian and gluten free options are available with advance notice.
- Use of spotting scope.
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
Duration: 6.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 45 minutes fast ferry to Haines
- 4-5 hours nature tour through Haines, Chilkat Valley and Chilkoot State Park including lunch at picnic location
- 45 minutes fast ferry to Skagway
- This tour meets on the cruise ship dock. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus and they need to be able to walk up and down gangways that vary depending on the tide. Guests can choose to remain in the vehicle at all stops during this tour. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. The ferry to and from Haines is NOT wheelchair accessible. There is no storage available for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Is there a minimum number of guests?
Yes. There is a minimum of 2 guests and a maximum of 14 guests per departure.
What time does the tour run?
Our tours typically leave in the morning but vary due to the Fast Ferry schedule.
Do you meet us at our ship?
Yes, a representative will meet the guests just past security.
Is this tour wheelchair accessible?
No. We do not have a wheelchair lift in any of our vehicles.
What should I wear while on tour?
We recommend that you dress in layers. It can be cold enough where you want a wool cap, gloves and a jacket, or it could be so warm you will be in a T-shirt with sunscreen and sunglasses. The weather can change quickly.
What size groups are on your tours?
Our maximum group size is 14. Our typical tour has around 6-8 guests at one time. We can charter large buses for large groups with advance notice.
What kinds of vehicles do you use?
Depending on the size of the group and the tour, we utilize everything from an SUV like the Toyota Sequoia or Sienna, to the 14-passenger Ford Econoline Van to the 14- passenger Airporter-style bus.
What are your lunches like? What if I have a special diet?
The tour includes a deli-style lunch. It consists of a turkey sandwich on fresh baked bread, fruit, freshly baked cookie, and bottled water. Vegetarian and gluten free options are available with advance notice.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!