Looking for iconic, Alaskan scenery? Look no further than the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve float trip. Begin your adventure as you board a high-speed catamaran for a scenic 45-minute cruise along North America's longest and deepest fjord to Haines.
Witness spectacular views of waterfalls and ice-sculpted peaks as your guide points out marine wildlife along the fjord. Upon arrival in Haines, board a motorcoach for a relaxing 40-minute drive up the Haines Highway, a National Scenic Byway, to the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve. You'll see historic Haines and Fort William H. Seward on this narrated drive from expert naturalists. Keep an eye out for moose and swans in the marshlands as you head up the Chilkat River Valley.
At the preserve, experienced raft guides await your arrival for a safety briefing and a chance to gear up for your float. You will be cruising, silently along the river aboard 18' inflatable rafts - the best way to observe eagles drawn to feed on the plentiful salmon. Bears and wolves are also frequent guests at the feast. Not only rich in wildlife, the preserve is also a place of incredible beauty, with towering mountains, hanging glaciers, and lush forests. Your tour will float past the Native village of Klukwan where the Tlingit people have lived for centuries on the bounty of this beautiful wilderness.
After your float, you'll enjoy a riverside picnic with lemonade, hot cocoa, and tea. Your tour concludes with a return cruise aboard the catamaran back to Skagway. With Haines behind you, you leave with a myriad of unforgettable memories and photos.
Please note: dietary restrictions with a minimum of 48 hours advanced notice, including gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, allergies, etc. can be accommodated. Please detail the dietary restriction during the checkout process.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. )
- Roundtrip transportation
- Rain poncho, rubber boots, life jackets
- Picnic Style Lunch with lemonade, hot cocoa, and tea
- Minimum age: 7 years old
- Maximum weight: 350 lbs
- Activity level is easy. Guests must be able to walk over loose gravel and a dry river delta to board the raft.
- No expectant mothers past 20 weeks are permitted on this excursion.
- Signed liability waiver.
Duration: 6.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes - Sign waivers, learn about the tour, and walk down to small boat harbor to the fast ferry
- 45 minutes - Board and ferry over to Haines
- 45 minutes - Transportation to the rafting sight by way of the Haines Scenic Byway
- 40 minutes - Safety briefing and gear-up
- 90 minutes - Explore the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve by raft
- 30 minutes - Picnic Style Lunch
- 30 minutes - Short drive back to the ferry
- 55 minutes - Scenic ferry ride back to Skagway
- 20 minutes - Depart the ferry and return to your cruise ship dock
- This tour meets on the cruise ship dock. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
Will we get wet on the raft ride?
The river float is mild with no whitewater splashing over the side of the raft. Rain ponchos are provided for protection if needed.
How many people fit in a raft?
The river float rafts each holds a maximum of 11 passengers and 1 guide.
Is there a bathroom?
Restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for the tour, on the ferry during your travel to Haines, and non-flushing restrooms at the start/finish of your float.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Yes, guests must be at least 7 years old to participate in this tour.
What wildlife will I see?
Though wildlife sightings can never be guaranteed, bald eagles, moose, all five types of Pacific salmon, brown and black bears frequent the area. Your guides will choose the best locations to maximize your wildlife viewing opportunity.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Picnic-style lunch, lemonade, hot cocoa, and tea are provided.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!