Skagway Chilkoot Trail Hike, Float & Summit Drive
Hike the historic Chilkoot Trail and float down the Taiya River!
Your journey begins from boarding a van and drive through Skagway to the backcountry and the historic town of Dyea. Hike the first two miles of the scenic Chilkoot Trail, the centerpiece of gold rush history in Skagway.
This world-famous trail was the main route to the riches of the Klondike during the gold rush. Now a tranquil place of incredible beauty, the trail winds through a lush rainforest alive with birds, animals, and wildflowers. Enjoy the exercise, fresh air, beautiful scenery, pristine forests, and history of a bygone era as the trail takes you up and over the 350' tall Saintly Hill. Along the way, your guide weaves an entertaining mix of natural history and Klondike folklore. Photo opportunities abound as you retrace the footsteps of the gold-hungry stampeders who forged this route over 100 years ago.
Arrive at the banks of the Taiya River, where your 18-foot raft awaits for the scenic float (no whitewater) back to Dyea. The forest gives way to fields of beach greens and wild iris, and the granite walls of the fjords rise steeply to the snow-capped peaks and hanging glaciers. Enjoy a riverside snack of homemade cookies and a hot beverage with countless picture-perfect moments before loading up in the van and heading up to the White Pass summit.
We will drive for about 45 minutes from the take-out to the top of the scenic White Pass. There are many photo opportunities of beautiful alpine lakes, glaciers, towering snowcapped peaks, and pristine forests. After enjoying the spectacular scenery, we'll return through the U.S. Border station and return to the town of Skagway.
- Roundtrip transportation
- All safety equipment: trekking poles for hiking, life jackets, ponchos and rubber boots for rafting
- Water, tea, hot chocolate and cookies
- A valid passport or US Passport card is required for all guests on this tour
- Maximum weight: 350 lbs
- Minimum age: 7 years old
- Closed toe shoes (sneakers, hiking, or rain boots)
- This is a physical activity and recommended for guests in able physical and mental states
- Participants must sign a liability waiver (parent/guardian must sign for minors)
Duration: 6 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- 10 minutes - meet your guide and greet
- 35 minutes - transfer toward Dyea and the Chilkoot Trail by van
- 2 hours - tracing the Gold Rush stampeders' steps along the first 2 miles of the Historic Chilkoot Trail
- 10 minutes - safety briefing and outfitting for rafting
- 35 minutes - raft and float down the Taiya River
- 15 minutes - snack time
- 1.5 hours - drive Klondike Highway to White Pass and stop at the "Welcome to Alaska" sign for photos
- 45~60 minutes - transfer back to port
- This tour meets at the end of the pier. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
While this tour does leave U.S. Customs, it enters into a 20-mile stretch of land that is considered neither the U.S. nor Canada. As the tour does re-enter through U.S Customs, you do still need a valid passport or enhanced I.D. This tour does not cross Canadian Customs.
The tour hikes along the first 1.6 - 2 miles of the historic Chilkoot Trail.
You will be hiking over uneven, natural terrain. There are exposed roots, rocks, and sometimes slippery or muddy sections. The trail gains and descends 350 feet over the course of the 2-mile hike.
No, there will be no whitewater or rapids on the float.
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained, and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Skagway. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certifications.
Restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour, and a non-flushing "outhouse" style restroom is available at the start of the hike.
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activities for the day.
Though wildlife can never be guaranteed, bald eagles, ravens, squirrels and harbor seals are frequently seen in Skagway.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
On Aug 2023
Very good job.
On Sep 2019
Loved this excursion! My favorite one of the whole trip!
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 6 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 6 hours
Child (7-12): $161.25