Skagway Alpine Lake Canoe Adventure
Navigate the waters of Summit Lake in British Columbia
Head north to the Canadian border and Summit Lake while enjoying spectacular views of the Denver Glacier, the White Pass, and numerous snow-capped peaks.
Once we've arrived at the lake, we'll take a short walk along a winding trail through gorgeous alpine terrain, to the motor-assisted 12 person voyageur canoes which will be waiting on the shore for us. These canoes are similar to the ones that trappers and prospectors used during the gold rush era. After life jackets, boots, and ponchos (if needed) are distributed, we will have a short safety explanation and paddling instruction before we launch out to explore the beautiful alpine lake.
The rocky glaciated landscape makes for stunning paddling in a pristine setting where we'll be surrounded by snow-capped glaciated peaks. If anyone is feeling tired, or the winds pick up, we have a small outboard motor to assist us. We'll have the chance to walk around, exploring secluded coves and shores of the lake before taking a short break.
After paddling for about 2 hours, we will return back to the bus and head back to Skagway to conclude the journey.
- Roundtrip transportation from the cruise ship terminal
- A light snack, water, and hot chocolate
- Canoe, paddles, ponchos and rubber boots
- Passports are required for ALL participants
- Group size must be between 3 - 12 participants
- Dress in comfortable layers
- This is a physical activity and recommended for guests in able physical and mental states
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Maximum weight: 300 lbs
Duration: 4.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- 10 minutes - Meet your guide
- 1 hour - We'll depart from our meeting point, through historic Skagway on our way up to the Klondike Highway and White Pass to Summit Lake. Along the way to Summit Lake, we'll make a brief stop at Canadian Customs (passports and appropriate VISA'a will be verified here.
- 10 minutes - Arrival at the parking area and an opportunity to use the restroom before starting our short hike down to our canoe staging area on the lake
- 10 minutes - At the staging area, your guides will assist you with getting fitted with rubber boots, PFD and rain gear, if necessary
- 10 minutes - Orientation, paddling instruction, and safety briefing
- 1.5 hours - Spend the next hour and a half exploring the alpine environment surrounding Summit Lake by voyageur canoe
- 25 minutes - Back on shore, we'll trade your rubber boots and PFD's back for your shoes and enjoy a smoked salmon snack and some hot cocoa
- 10 minutes - Hike back to transportation
- 55 minutes - We'll head back to Skagway, with a stop at the 'Welcome to Alaska" sign on the White Pass summit, followed by a brief stop at US customs
- This tour meets at the end of the pier. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not limited mobility or wheelchair accessible.
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained, and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Skagway. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certifications.
Layered clothing, long pants, and weather-appropriate dress are recommended. Closed-toe shoes (sneakers, hiking, or rain boots) are required; sandals and other open-toe footwear are not permitted.
The minimum age to participate in this tour is 8 years old. Children younger than this and infants are not allowed.
Everyone in the canoe will be provided with a paddle. Paddling is optional and each boat is equipped with a quiet 4-stroke outboard motor, so if the wind picks up or you need a rest, you can sit back and let your guide and motor do the work.
At the end of checkout, there will be a comments section provided to supply us and the operator with this information. Most dietary restrictions can be accommodated with alternative lunch options with advanced notice.
Yes - restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for your tour and a non-flushing 'outhouse' style restroom on-site.
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activities for the day.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
On Aug 2019
Really enjoyed it. Staff were fantastic and knowledgeable. Would have liked to paddle a bit more great with young children.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 4.5 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 4.5 hours
Child (8-12): $146.25