**WE ARE NOW ACCEPTING RESERVATIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASON**
Hoonah, Alaska is a special place rich in culture and tradition. Hoonah is a seaside community surrounded by majestic wilderness, settled by the "Xunaa Kaa'wu" in 1754 due to the advancing ice in Glacier Bay.
The Tlingit Tribe offers a unique, once in a lifetime opportunity to tour the pristine waters of Icy Strait, aboard one of their traditional, hand-carved dugout canoes. This experience is something that can only be done in Hoonah!
Prior to heading out to sea, guests will be fitted with a life vest and given some tips on proper use of traditional paddles. Then, guests are given the opportunity to paddle an authentic 40 foot canoe or just enjoy the ride.
Enjoy songs, drumming, learn about the culture of the Tlingit, and hear Tlingit language phrases which will be taught to you by the crew. You'll get an up close view of marine wildlife and culture with an experience you'll never forget!
After the ride, you'll visit the Yaakw Kahidi Cultural Center where you'll view beautiful totems and a display of the Xunaa Shuk. Lastly you'll have the option to visit the Kindei Gift Ship where you can purchase gifts and souvenirs or can hop aboard the shuttle back to your cruise ship terminal.
Please Note: Minimum weight on this tour is 50 lbs.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from excursions hub. Paddle time: 45 minutes.)
- Life jackets
- Roundtrip tranfer from Icy Strait Point Adventure Center - Excursion Hub
- Free Shuttle back to ship if guests decide to stay in town after tour
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes tranportation from Excursions Hub to Harbor
- 45 minutes on the water ancestral canoe experience
- 10 minutes transportation to Yaakw Kahidi Cultural Center
- 30 minutes story and totem interpretation
- 10 minutes at Kindei Gift Shop
- 10 minutes transportation back to port
- This tour meets at the Excursions Hub. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What should I wear?
Layers are always a good idea when visiting Alaska.
Where does this tour meet?
This tour meets at the Icy Strait excursions hub, which is a short walk away from your cruise ship. Detailed meeting instructions will be included on your ticket voucher.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Sep 2019 - Mrs A L.
Fantastic and unique trip. Full of information and fun
Jul 2019 - Maria Laura U.
Me encanto Gracias
Jun 2019 - Erna L.
Loved the local Hoonah people and for being patient with me (wife) for lack of coordination paddling :)
May 2019 - Elizabeth W.
Very enjoyable canoe trip and learned about Hoonah people and their culture from very knowledgable and friendly guides.