A revered pastime in Southeast Alaska...set out on your 34' vessel, The Kraken for a halibut fishing venture. Hoonah is the place to be for trying to catch these "barn door" size fish. The largest halibut on record was caught inside the Icy Strait waters.
All fishing gear, bait, and tackle will be provided for this excursion. On those particularly soggy Alaskan days, warm up in the comfortable cabin. Before your trip, participants will need to purchase a State of Alaska fishing license which you will need to print and have with you while fishing the Icy Strait waters.
The charter runs between 3.5 - 4 hours to optimize your time fishing. Enjoy learning from an experienced Captain who has a lifetime of anecdotes and knowledge to share. Hoonah is just a stones throw from Icy Strait where your fishing adventure awaits.
If you are on the first charter of the day, your guide will pick you up at the Icy Strait Point Excursions Hub and you will need to take the return shuttle from Hoonah back to Icy Strait at the completion of the excursion. If you are on the second and third charter of the day, you will need to take the shuttle to Hoonah and meet your guide at the Hoonah Harbor, then at the end of the charter, you will be returned back to Icy Strait. Finalized ticket vouchers will have detailed meeting instructions.
If you choose to have your catch shipped home, your catch can be delivered to the local processor who will fillet, vacuum seal, and freeze your catch, then ship via Fed Ex upon your arrival home. This is at an additional expense and the cost depends on the weight of the fish.
Duration: 3.5-4 hours (Roundtrip from Icy Strait Excursions Hub for first charters of the day. Second and Third Charters shuttle to Hoonah for tour departure. )
- All fishing gear and bait
- Water and granola bars
- Minimum of 3 participants required to book
- A one-day fishing license is required for everyone 16 years and older ($15) - please visit https://store.adfg.alaska.gov/ to purchase and print your fishing license
- Guests must be able to navigate three steps onto the deck
Duration: 3.5 - 4 hours
- 3.5 - 4 hours of halibut fishing aboard The Kraken
- Guests on the first charter of the day will be picked up directly from the Excursions Hub at Icy Strait Point and a shuttle will return you to Icy Strait Point. Guests on the second or third charter of the day will take the shuttle from Icy Strait Point to Hoonah to join this excursion (drop-off will be at Icy Strait Point at the conclusion of the tour). Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not limited mobility accessible. The vessels do not have a walk through door so guests must be able to navigate three steps onto the deck. Collapsible wheelchairs cannot be accommodated at this time.
How many passengers does the boat hold?
There is a maximum capacity of 6 guests.
What fishing gear is provided?
All fishing gear and bait are provided.
May I have my catch shipped home?
If you choose to have your catch shipped home, the local tour operator will deliver it to the local processor who will fillet, vacuum seal, and freeze your catch. Your catch will be shipped via FedEx upon your arrival home. This is an additional expense and the cost is dependent on the weight of the fish.
Where can I get the fishing license?
Please visit https://store.adfg.alaska.gov/ to purchase and print your Non-resident 1 Day Sport Fishing License for $15.
Am I allowed to bring food and drinks on this tour?
Bottled water and granola bars are provided. Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!