Icy Strait Village Tour and Crab Feast
Discover the Alaskan Way and a hearty crab feast!
Form a deeper connection with the local area and its people through an intimate experience in Icy Strait Point. The first stop is the dock to take a peek at a commercial fishing boat, with the morning catch. This is your chance to ask any questions about Alaska's commercial fishing and crabbing industry and to see how the gear works. Pick out some fresh crab for the feast later and ice them down at the restaurant at the top of the dock.
Next, set off on a guided stroll through the garden. Visit your guide's favorite foraging spots amongst the berry patches and forest. Learn how your local guides survive & thrive in this challenging environment. There is even a chance of seeing coastal brown bears. Return to the village to see the sights and visit the carving shed. Watch local Tlingit master wood carvers craft totem poles from Alaska yellow cedar. After that it's back to Hoonah Beach House for an Alaskan Dungeness crab feast on a private deck overlooking the water!
Come hungry for an Alaskan Dungeness crab feast
The tour ends on the deck at Hoonah Beach House for fresh crab and dessert. Guests delight in some of the best crab they have ever eaten. The reason for this is simple: Alaska Dungeness crab are very high quality, and it is caught and cooked fresh.
Sit back and relax or get involved as you learn the local way to cook, clean, and crack crab. Homemade dessert is also available made with wild Alaska berries foraged on the property. The deck is an amazing vantage point for wildlife photography. Eagles are a common sight, and humpback whales frequent the area.
- Roundtrip transportation from Icy Strait Excursions Hub
- Restrooms available
- Deliciously prepared fresh Alaska Dungeness crab, sourdough bread or Thai fried rice, homemade dessert (varies), water, and Thai iced tea.
- Minimum of 2 required to book
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from the Excursions Hub.)
- 15 minutes - transport to dock and commercial fishing Q&A
- 15 minutes - drop off crab at Hoonah Beach House, restrooms available
- 15 minutes - private forest and garden tour
- 15 minutes - totem pole carving demonstration
- 1.75 hours - Hoonah Beach House for crab cooking and cracking demonstration and crab feast
- 15 minutes - return transportation to Excursions Hub
- This tour meets at the Excursions Hub. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. This tour is wheelchair accessible for all parts except the city dock where the boat is kept. The ramp to the dock will be steep at low tide. People with limited mobility can still participate from the top of the ramp. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
There are no age restrictions for this tour. Infants 2 and under are free.
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Deliciously prepared Alaska Dungeness crab, sourdough bread or Thai fried rice, homemade dessert (varies), water, and Thai iced tea.
One of the reasons the crab tastes so good is because your local tour provider harvests and cooks it fresh right in front of you. Most crab restaurants pre-cook their crab and reheat it. Often they buy it previously frozen. This is why king crab is not offered. The commercial king crab season is in the winter and the experience is designed for fresh crab.
For private group inquiries between 12 and 24 people, please email [email protected] for more information.. The shuttle holds 12 guests so a group as large as 24 would do the tour in two portions. Half would tour while the others ate and vice-versa.
We do not have any review about this excursion yet.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 3 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 3 hours
Adult (13+): $195.00
Child (2-12): $195.00
Infant (under 2): $0.00