Come along on a scenic drive and freshwater fishing excursion in beautiful Sitka. With abundant wildlife in this area, keep your cameras ready for potential wildlife sightings. Brown bears, bald eagles, Sitka blacktail deer, ducks, geese, and more are often sighted throughout Southeast Alaska's rainforest.
As with everything in the wilds of Alaska, the fish runs are wild and seasonal. Depending on the time of year, the drive may be 20-40 minutes to the fishing destination. Dolly Varden Char and Cutthroat Trout can be found throughout the summer season. Pink and Chum Salmon run from late June through September, and Silver Salmon from late August through October.
You will be outfitted with fishing gear including waders (to keep your lower half day), tackle, and spinning rods. Several fly fishing rods are available should that be your preference. This excursion is strictly catch and release fishery. The fish are a valuable resource and must be preserved for decades to come. The summer season runs from May through September. Participants must have a State of Alaska Fishing License. You may purchase one online via the link in your confirmation email.
Please dress for the weather. We suggest a good rain jacket and dressing in layers. You are welcome to bring your own coffee/tea and your preferred snacks. The maximum number of participants on this excursion is 6 guests. A minimum of 3 guests required to book this excursion.
Duration: 3.75 hours (Roundtrip from Icy Strait Excursions Hub for first charters of the day. Second and Third Charters shuttle to Hoonah for tour departure. )
- Bottled water and snack
- Waders, tackle and Fishing Gear
- Minimum of 3 participants is required to book (maximum of 6 guests)
- A one-day fishing license is required for everyone 16 years and older ($15) - please visit https://store.adfg.alaska.gov/ to purchase and print your fishing license
- Guests must be able to navigate three steps onto the deck
- Guests must be 6 years of age or older.
Duration: 3.75 hours
- 3.75 hours - including scenic drive and fishing time
- Guests on the first charter of the day will be picked up directly from the Excursions Hub at Icy Strait Point and a shuttle will return you to Icy Strait Point. Guests on the second or third charter of the day will take the shuttle from Icy Strait Point to Hoonah to join this excursion (drop-off will be at Icy Strait Point at the conclusion of the tour). Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not limited mobility accessible. There is no storage available for motorized scooters, collapsible walkers, wheelchairs, or baby strollers.
What is the maximum number of participants on this excursion?
There is a maximum capacity of 6 guests. A minimum of 3 participants required to book.
What is the minimum age for this excursion?
All guests must be six years of age or older to join this excursion.
What fishing gear is provided?
Waders, tackle and fishing gear is provided. You will be fishing with spinning rods, though a few fly rods are on hand should you prefer.
May I have my catch shipped home?
No. This tour is strictly catch and release fishery so that we may preserve a valuable resource for years to come.
Where can I get the fishing license?
Please visit https://store.adfg.alaska.gov/ to purchase and print your Non-resident 1 Day Sport Fishing License for $15.
Am I allowed to bring food and drinks on this tour?
Bottled water and granola bars are provided. Non-alcoholic beverages in closeable containers and snacks are allowed on tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Aug 2023 - Terry L.
This excursion was far more amazing than we had even hoped.
Chris, who led the excursion for our family was super knowledgeable of the area and could not have been more friendly and accommodating. He picked us up at the brewery as we decided to walk from the port along walk. Chris then outfitted us with waders and shoes for the River.
Once we arrived at this very remote location, we geared up and walked maybe 100 yards to this pristine stream with what had to be over 1000 salmon in the water over a 200-foot section. Chris brought spinning and fly rods so that we could experience both styles while catching these awesome fish by the dozens. My youngest daughter has a handicap and Chris made sure the setup for her rod and reel worked for her and was beyond patient in helping her get the groove of casting and reeling in fish. We all caught a ton.
We then saw tons of wildlife with two bears showing up at the end.
I can't say enough positive things about this entire experience. Chris and his outfitter were simply amazing.
We highly recommend them and when we come back to Alaska will no doubt use them again.