This breathtaking helicopter flight and ice climbing tour offers a great opportunity to explore the Knik glacier. Fly down the Great Gorge of the Knik, awarded National Landmark status for its beauty.
Your journey begins from the Knik River Valley Lodge where safety briefing and gear are provided. Guests will need to try on dry climbing boots before exiting the lodge. Once arrived at your location near the Knik glacier, your guide will assist you with the gear preparation and give you a lesson on how to ice climb on the vertical frozen waterfall.
This tour is recommended to adventurous people who are 18 and older with a moderate level of fitness to climb with ice tools. No ice climbing experience is necessary. Your group size will be small and the tour can be personal and catered to you based on your fitness level and desires. Snacks, hot drinks, and extra warm gear will always be provided along with all of the gear necessary to have a safe trip. At the end of your guided ice climbing, you will take off for your return flight back to the heliport. This Anchorage Ice Climbing is one you will always remember.
Please note: We are climbing frozen waterfall ice near a glacier, not on the glacier. Temperatures can shift and become extreme without warning. Guests should be expected to feel cold at times.
Duration: 4-5 hours
- Ice climbing instruction
- Knowledgeable glacier experts
- Small guided group ratios 5:1
- Gear: crampons, harness, helmet, ice climbing axes, boots, ropes, and hardware for top-rope climbing
- Waterproof clothing, body warmers, and extra warm gear if needed
- Water, granola bars/snacks
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Minimum age: 18 years old
- Maximum weight: 290lbs
- Signed liability waiver (You can sign this on-site during the safety briefing)
- Appropriate clothing per weather
Duration: 4-5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes - preflight safety briefing and preparation
- 20 minutes - scenic helicopter flightseeing over the Knik Glacier
- Up to 4 hours - ice climbing and glacier exploration
- 20 minutes - reboard helicopter and fly back to the heliport
- 10 minutes - arrive at heliport and de-gear
- This tour meets at the Knik River Lodge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
What is the seating arrangement in the helicopter?
The pilot balances the helicopter based on the weight and number of passengers. We cannot make any promises for specific seat because safety cannot be compromised. If you have a preference ask the pilot and when it is safe the pilot will try to accommodate you.
What glacier is this tour on?
This tour goes to the Knik Glacier.
What is the temperature on the glacier?
The average temperature is between 15-20°F cooler than on the ground.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Typically we see moose, dall sheep, mountain goats and sometimes bears depending on the time of year. However, this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Yes, guests must be at least 18 years old to particiapte.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
You can bring your own preferred snacks. Alcohol is not allowed on this tour.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Alaska has extreme weather conditions and it can change often. We reccomend wearing layers, a weatherproof outer coat, sturdy hiking boots, hat, gloves, and sunglasses (as it gets very bright near the snow covered glacier) for cold wind and possible rain.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!