Anchorage Glacier Paddle Boarding
Knik Glacier Pools adventure
For our guests with a sense of adventure, enjoy a scenic helicopter flight from Knik River Lodge over the Knik Glacier. Land on a remote glacier, and your guide will assist with your gear so you can enjoy paddle boarding in remote glacier pools.
For adventurous people with a moderate level of fitness, knowing how to swim is recommended but not required. No paddle-boarding experience is necessary. Alaska has extreme weather conditions and it can change often, guests should be prepared for immediate temperature changes. You and your guide will participate in a few jumps into the glacial lake to make you feel as comfortable as possible with getting in and out of the water. This will help to understand the drysuit / Personal Flotation Device system in the event you lose your balance on the paddleboard in the lake, and you will feel prepared to get back on.
Guests need to have a moderate level of fitness and be able to tolerate colder temperatures. Although knowing how to swim is not required, it is recommended.
The average pack weight for the paddleboarding gear is 25 lbs per board. Guests will need to try on dry suits before leaving the lodge and if possible, wear them for the entire tour. Hot drinks and extra warm gear will be provided, along with all of the gear necessary to have a safe trip. This activity is available to young adults over the age of 18, as long as they are up to the challenge of tolerating cold temperatures.
For this adventure, you are required to be properly dressed for all types of weather. You will be exposed outside for 3.5 hours and if not properly dressed it will affect your experience. You are required to bring the following:
-WARM LAYERS (can be bought on site)
-HAT & GLOVES (can be bought on site)
-FULL WINTER SNOW GEAR FOR ALL TOURS OCTOBER - MARCH
Your tour will require you to do the following:
-Swim in 30*f cold water in a dry suit
-Trek on uneven glacial terrain
-Be exposed to inclement weather
Please note, there is a 2-passenger minimum required to book this excursion.
- Scenic Helicopter flight from Knik River Lodge over the Knik Glacier
- Landing on a remote glacier
- Extra warm gear, paddleboard and guide
- Hot drinks
- Minimum of 2 passengers required to book
- Guests will be outdoors for up to 4 hours or more.
- Signed liability waiver (You can sign this on-site during the safety briefing)
- Appropriate clothing per weather, extra warm layers are recommended.
- Passenger names and weights are required by the FAA for passenger safety and comfort, as well as weight and balance calculations for flight manifesting.
- Weight requirement: Guests must be 290 lbs or less
Please pack specific foods you need if you have allergies or diet restrictions.
Duration: 3-4 hours (Roundtrip from Knik Glacier Lodge in Palmer, AK)
- 15 minutes - round trip helicopter flightseeing & safety briefing
- 3.5 hours - paddle boarding and exploring the remote glacier pools
- 15 minutes - landed on the glacier with a pilot/guide
- This tour meets at the Knik River Lodge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
The pilot balances the helicopter based on the weight and number of passengers. We cannot make any promises for specific seat because safety cannot be compromised. If you have a preference ask the pilot and when it is safe the pilot will try to accommodate you.
The average temperature is between 15-20°F cooler than on the ground.
Wildlife is abundant in Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour. Typically we see moose, dall sheep, mountain goats and sometimes bears depending on the time of year. However, this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Guests must be 18 years of age or older.
If you have preferred snacks and a water bottle, please bring.
We recommend wearing layers, a weatherproof outer coat, sturdy shoes (we will provide ice crampons) and sunglasses as it gets very bright on the snow-covered glacier.
Camera, extra warm layers, preferred snacks, water bottle, sunscreen and sunglasses are recommended.
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
We do not have any review about this excursion yet.
Best Price Guarantee!
Duration: 3-4 hours
Best Price Guarantee!
"Best Price Guarantee" means we offer the local wholesale rates for all of our tours because
we feel that everyone should get the same lowest price possible regardless of how many
excursions you book. No tricks, no gimmicks, no hidden fees.
Duration: 3-4 hours
Adult (Ages 18+): $999.00